• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forgotten Debt - Old School Loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WellingtonChase

What is the name of your state? NC

OK! I went to school in 1995-1997 in San Diego, CA. I graduated in 1997 with a BA. I went on with life and actually forgot about my loan up until Jan.15th I was contacted by Windham Professionals out of Salem, NH who was trying to collect on my defaulted loan. I guess I failed to let the original lender SunTrust/Zion who sold it to EdFund and then it looks like Windham Professionals are the collection agency that EdFund sold it to between Apr. 2007-Jan. 2008. I was contacted on my cell phone by a representative from Windham. I'm kind of curious why did they wait so long to contact me even thought I don't live in that state anymore? They seemed to be really nice indicating that I can consolidate my loans and sent me the paperwork. My question is on my letter I rec'd from Windham there is a $9620.90 collection cost plus interest of $3052.19 which totals $62,599.41. I know your saying wow! Anyway, I would like to know if I consolidate the loan that gets the collection fees and if I can request that to be waived since I just found out about the loan on January 15th from CA. Although, I still have some schooling to complete my duel Masters this loan will have to be paid back. What shall I do and am I missing a link here are they in jurisdiction to try and collect from an old debt:(

tranquility

While I have knowledge in many areas, debt collection is not one of them. But, from the many, many posts (and other thigs) I've read, student loans are special. YOU'VE GOT TO DEAL WITH THE STUDENT LOANS. Don't rely on what you think is fair or what you think think you should pay.

Waiver of fees? HAH! Waiver of time to collect? HAH!

This will not go away. Deal with the issue now before it becomes worse.

BoredAtty

Anyway, I would like to know if I consolidate the loan that gets the collection fees and if I can request that to be waived since I just found out about the loan on January 15th from CA.
You can certainly ask, but I seriously doubt they'll do so.

As usual, I agree with tranquility. Barring circumstances of extreme hardship, you're basically stuck with your student loans forever until they're paid off. There is just no reason to cut you a break...you have zero leverage against the creditor.

What I'd like to know is how one forgets about a $50,000 school loan. That's not exactly chump change.

RuGa

I forgot...

How anyone with a BA can forget a loan of $50,000 is beyond me.... There is NO way to avoid or get out of this. Bankruptcy will NOT erase a student loan.
Pony up and deal with it now or you'll accumulate more and more penalties...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">