• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealership Shredded My Original Paperwork

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CA

I'm not sure if I have anything that may be of importance here, or better yet, reimbursement.

I went to a dealership two weeks ago to try and buy a new car. I was trading in my current car and we were talking numbers. They asked for all my information on the car, so I handed them an envelope that I keep in the glove box that has all my information (original sales contract, all associated paperwork, and even my insurance info). I waited around for roughly an hour and they kept telling me that they were working on it. I told them I had to run some errands and to call me once they find out what the word was. They couldn't cut a deal, which was fine, and I told them I would be back by to retrieve my paperwork. One week went by and since I was working , I didn't get a chance to go back to get all my paperwork. I ended up at another dealership that worked an awesome deal and i turned in my car and got a new truck. The dealership where I got my new truck wanted my paperwork but were able to work a deal without it, this reminded me that I needed to run by and pick up all my papers. To make a long story short, I called and they said my paperwork was around and that they would have it ready. I showed up and was immediately greeted by the salesman that was working with me originally and told me that they didn't have my paperwork and he asked everybody and they said they were pretty sure they shredded it! I'm curious what I might have here? I'm extremely worried about Identity theft, since these papers have a lot of vital info related to myself. It has me on edge. To top it off the salesman said it didn't matter anyhow, since I got rid of the car. Very unprofessional in my opinion.

Can anyhow help me out? Any help is extremely appreciated!

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
US Law Only - WHEN POSTING A QUESTION, YOU MUST INCLUDE THE NAME OF YOUR STATE

(You left your paperwork for over a week. Be glad they shredded it...)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">