• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hot tub deduction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sasnak

On the advice of my wife's physician, we purchased a hot tub to help her cope with pain resulting from medical conditions. He even wrote a "prescription" for the hot tub. My wife insists that this is a legitimate medical expense and, therefore, deductable. I'm not so sure. I think something like this could be inviting an audit. What do you think?

L

loku

From what you say, it sounds like you have a legitimate deduction; however, you may have a point, and the deduction may be an audit flag. If you include a copy of the “prescription” in your tax return, that should help.

Here is the applicable rule for your situation:

1.medical expenses be incurred primarily for purposes of medical care;
2.there be a direct and proximate relationship between the expense and the mitigation of disease or illness; and
3. the taxpayer establish that the expense would not have been incurred but for the medical problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">