• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mediation question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vegas42

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Hi I just recently went through a mediation with a company for wrongful termination. I don't have much money so I pretty much had a court appointed lawyer. at the mediation, I thought we came to terms and a rough draft was written up. I was told by my lawyer to just sign it since it was just a rough draft and would be revised at a later time. I signed the rough draft based on what it said at that current time. A week later when the "revised" agreement came, things were changed completely and now I disagree with it all because its not what I had first signed to and is completely taking screwing me over, is there anything I can do and what steps do I take.

Rexlan

Don't sign it and note the deviation from the original agreement. Not too much detail but enough to show the major discrepancy. Don't nit-pick.

Allow them to resubmit it in accordance with the original terms within a given period of time. Advise them that a subsequent failure will result in the matter being referred back to the Court.

dcatz

I agree with Rexlan. “Binding mediation” is pretty much an oxymoron, until there is a signed agreement that can be submitted to a court as a stipulation/order or serve as the basis for a judgment/dismissal.

The additional problem that I see is that you say that you’re hard-pressed for retained representation. You might consider discussing with appointed counsel the reason for the disconnect between what you thought was the agreement and what was memorialized as the agreement. Differences can be resolved between counsel and/or you can return for further mediation before “going to court” becomes the only option.

I think Rexlan may have been saying the same thing more succinctly. If you got that, adding “meat to the bone” is superfluous, and I acknowledge that to you both.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">