• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DSL Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin..

Hello... :)

I live in a rural area. I only have one broadband provider in my area. The local phone company is my DSL Provider in my area. Needless to say they are gouging me. My DSL terms are quite strict. I am forced into a 3 year contract, termination fee is what is left on my contract. At which case I have about a year left, which would be about $1,000.00.

A few months ago my DSL provider started to raise my rates. Under the contract terms I am suppose to be rate locked. I contacted my DSL provider and they tell me something happened with billing and they will take care of it on the next statement. The next statement arrives, and nothing is corrected. I call back again and the next statement is not corrected and they tell me it will be corrected in the next statement. The 3rd statement arrives and I am still overcharged. I am told that I am suppose to pay the full amount due and the amount will be corrected in April's statement. (which is another two months)

The local cable company is about to offer broadband in a few weeks No contract, with double the speed, and about 75% less in price. Since the phone company increased my rate, would this price change be an excuse to terminate the contract without a termination fee? I had an instance where this happened a little over a year ago. It took 6 months to correct.

I am sure $1,000 would be a large enough chunk of change where the phone company may try to collect.. If I am locked in a rate under a 3 year contract would this price increase be considered a "breach of Contract"?

BL

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin..

Hello... :)

I live in a rural area. I only have one broadband provider in my area. The local phone company is my DSL Provider in my area. Needless to say they are gouging me. My DSL terms are quite strict. I am forced into a 3 year contract, termination fee is what is left on my contract. At which case I have about a year left, which would be about $1,000.00.

A few months ago my DSL provider started to raise my rates. Under the contract terms I am suppose to be rate locked. I contacted my DSL provider and they tell me something happened with billing and they will take care of it on the next statement. The next statement arrives, and nothing is corrected. I call back again and the next statement is not corrected and they tell me it will be corrected in the next statement. The 3rd statement arrives and I am still overcharged. I am told that I am suppose to pay the full amount due and the amount will be corrected in April's statement. (which is another two months)

The local cable company is about to offer broadband in a few weeks No contract, with double the speed, and about 75% less in price. Since the phone company increased my rate, would this price change be an excuse to terminate the contract without a termination fee? I had an instance where this happened a little over a year ago. It took 6 months to correct.

I am sure $1,000 would be a large enough chunk of change where the phone company may try to collect.. If I am locked in a rate under a 3 year contract would this price increase be considered a "breach of Contract"?
Contact the PSC listed on your bill ,or look it up .

Most likely the PSC will contact your provider on your behalf , and you will be credited .

I've had good luck w/ PSC rectifying issues with providers , and that should be your first step,as PSC's # should be on your bill to contact for disputes .

Otherwise ,I simply wouldn't pay their increase ( if in fact you have a locked in fee ) .

I'd also deduct any over payments from your next payment .

I'd write something like $__.__ amount for locked in rate ,please adjust . On the payment slip .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">