• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Agency Law/Privity of Contract Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JSutherland36

I am in Maryland.

have a legal that is related to business law, agency, and privity of contract. I will explain the whole story and the background information.

Before the start of law school I purchased a Gateway laptop at a large famous electronics store on the advice of a salesperson there. Last November the laptop had so many problems that I had to replace it. I visited the same store and the salesperson told me that Gateways were poor computers. This annoyed me, but I purchased a fairly expensive Sony Vaio because of the company’s reputation. At the end of December I noticed that it had a cracked screen, so my fiancé took it into another location of the store to have it repaired on December 30th. He had a few runarounds with them the facts of which I am not certain. Then I received a call from the store (it was an automated message) that my laptop was ready to be picked up. We drove to the store and the laptop was unrepaired. It took them forever to find the laptop, and then they told us that we had refused the estimate. This is completely untrue and in fact we had never received a phone call from them at all until the one notifying us to pick the laptop up.

My fiancé was very frustrated because, in part, of his recent issues with the company relating to this repair, so he asked to see a store manager. He had dealt with the repairs division manager before and that was not helpful to him at all. A manager came over and he was very rude. The staff rolled their eyes at me when I was signing the new repair order because I actually read what it said. Then when they printed out a contract to give us it was pretty much blank because the printer was out of ink. When we complained and asked for a readable copy we were made to feel like we were being ridiculous and were told that they could not print us a clear copy because they had no ink!

A few weeks later I received an automated message from the store that said that the laptop would be shipped back via UPS within 5 business days. I assumed that this meant shipped back to the store since that was the agreement and at no point was shipping to my house ever discussed. On Monday my fiancé called the store and again they could not find the laptop. Getting fed up with the store he called the corporate customer care line and spoke to a representative. She was helpful to a point and filed an official complaint against the store itself (or so she said) but then she started trying to tell my fiancé since they shipped it to Sony we had to take it up with Sony as they were liable. He asked for a supervisor and put me on the phone. The supervisor again tried to tell me that Sony was liable, but then I explained that I did not think so, that the company was acting as an agent of Sony and there was no privity of contract between Sony and me. Then she said something like, “of course”, which makes me wonder if she was deliberately trying to trick me. She asked what I wanted and I told her that I wanted my repaired computer as soon as possible and if they could not do that I wanted another of the same make, year and model. She said the latter was out of the question and went to see where the computer actually was. When she came back on the line she said that according to the tracking number she had, Sony had shipped it via Federal Express and it was delivered on the 8th. I told her that was unacceptable: shipping to my home made no sense as the repair bill was over $600 (she agreed that made no sense), that shipping to my house was never discussed and never even mention and it goes against their regular business practice, that I never had anything shipped here because I live in a city row home, and that no package was received. She said she would try to find a solution for me and get back to me in 24 hours.

I never received a phone call from her so 48 hours later I phoned the corporate customer service number. I spoke at first to a new service representative and she could not find ANY record of any of my dealings with them on this mater no matter how she searched. The supervisor was not available as she was “helping another customer”. I was transferred into her voicemail and left her a lengthy message.

There are so many problems with the company’s story: I received the phone call about delivery after the 8th and from the company, even though the company made it sound as if Sony unilaterally decided to mail the laptop to me. She had a tracking number all along and still behaved as though she didn’t know what was going on or where my laptop is, and I was on the phone with her for almost an hour. She seems to have known that I shouldn’t have to deal with Sony, she did not return my call, she was not available to talk, and the records of all of this have “disappeared”.

My question for you is, do you think that I am correct in that the company is responsible to me for the loss of my laptop even if, as they are trying to claim, Sony did something odd with it? I think that I might have to sue them and I want to make sure that I am right before I pursue this and further. I really appreciate any help that you are able to offer.

Also: I have heard that another woman in Maryland is suing the same major electronics retailer for an almost identical issue. If anyone knows anything about that I would love to know the name of her attorney or the case number.

Thanks!

tranquility

Um...I hope you brief better than you post. Go back and give the facts you think are relevant to your issues of privity and agency and leave out all the personal information. I re-read your overlong post twice and still don't have a sense of what happened.

seniorjudge

Um...I hope you brief better than you post. Go back and give the facts you think are relevant to your issues of privity and agency and leave out all the personal information. I re-read your overlong post twice and still don't have a sense of what happened.
Maybe he was getting paid by the word.

tranquility

Generally speaking, yes, the store is responsible for the laptop even if a third party lost it. Look up bailment.
It would be interesting to see what the contract says. I just rescanned the tome as I wasn't even sure the store took the laptop into their possession. Bottom line is that the OP needs to rachet her post down a bit (lot) and try again.

There may be a claim it was delivered back from FedEx. We don't know the value of a broken laptop (Which is what the bailment would be for, right?) Is the OP complaining about the bill? Not having the laptop? Was it FOB from Sony? What does FedEx say about who signed for it? Why does the OP feel agency or privity important in this?

BoredAtty

It would be interesting to see what the contract says. I just rescanned the tome as I wasn't even sure the store took the laptop into their possession. Bottom line is that the OP needs to rachet her post down a bit (lot) and try again.

There may be a claim it was delivered back from FedEx. We don't know the value of a broken laptop (Which is what the bailment would be for, right?) Is the OP complaining about the bill? Not having the laptop? Was it FOB from Sony? What does FedEx say about who signed for it? Why does the OP feel agency or privity important in this?
In a nutshell, OP took her laptop to a big-box electronics store for repair. The store subsequently contracted it out for repair. OP never got her laptop back. The big-box blames the contractor, and the contractor blames the big-box for the loss.

I suspect OP thinks privity is an issue because she never personally dealt with the contractor. If anything, however, I think the lack of privity would be a defense for the contractor if the OP tried to sue it for losing the laptop. Agency is also irrelevant, unless the OP wants to sue the contractor and asserts that the big-box was her agent.

Last edited:

JSutherland36

Thank you. I appreciate the tip and I am glad to know where that case is. So far I had not heard back from the host of the radio show on which my friend heard about the suit. Thank you also to the authors of the other helpful responses. I really appreciate it.

* Dropped laptop off at retailer for repair of broken screen
* No purchased warranty and this was never an issue
* Notified laptop back 2 weeks later
* Return to pick laptop up and it is still broken
* store claims we refused repair and this is false, no discussion of this at all
* Store never mentions shipping laptop anywhere to us
* Arrange to actually have it repaired, to be picked up at store after repair, repair fee paid when picked up
* Receive phone call from store that it will be ready in about 5 days
*Call store this monday and laptop is MIA
* No help from store
* Phone corporate, have to speak to supervisor as agent unable to help
* Supervisor attempts to blame Sony
* Supervisor refuses to provide replacement
* Supervisor then checks to find location of laptop
* Supervisor says Fed Ex delivered it to our home on 2/8 according to company's tracking number
* 2/8 is prior to the date that the call was received from the retailer that the laptop would be ready in 5 days
* Superviosr says Sony unilaterally decided to ship laptop
* Supervisor tries to blame Sony for the loss and say that we had to deal with them
* The agreement was that the laptp was to be picked up at the store where dropped off
* Shipping was never discussed at all and shipping is not the store's regular practice
* Repair was over $600 and supervisor admitted to me that shipping to our home was unusual and made no sense
* When it was dropped off and put in for repair both times it was left in the care of the repair department staff and a form was provided
* The second time it was left for repair (it had never been returned to our posession) is when the blank form became an issue

* I am a female, not sure about the relevancy of that fact ;)

And to some of the other posters, there is no need to be rude. You could have just asked me to "outline". I was trying to give the complete background of the situation to make it clear how frustrating this is, and less dry. As I am posting information about this issue various places I created a statement to copy and paste. I have also posted this on consumer complaint forums to warn others.

My briefs are fine. I am a dean's scholar. I was not trying to brief here / just give a short statement of legally relevant facts. I write enough that is dry as dust for school.

I really never understood why some people are so rude online.

A LOST LAPTOP, A $54 MILLION LAWSUIT

Plaintiff is in DC.

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2008/02/a-lost-laptop-a.html#posts

Generally speaking, yes, the store is responsible for the laptop even if a third party lost it. Look up bailment.

Last edited:

tranquility

My briefs are fine. I am a dean's scholar. I was not trying to brief here / just give a short statement of legally relevant facts. I write enough that is dry as dust for school.
And, which are the "legally relevant facts" as to privity and agency?

OK. * Dropped laptop off at retailer for repair of broken screen

No privity or agency implicated. (NPAI)* No purchased warranty and this was never an issue

(NPAI)* Notified laptop back 2 weeks later

(NPAI) First bailment has ended. Contractual breach?* Return to pick laptop up and it is still broken

(NPAI) Irrelevant except for defense by store to any contract at all.* store claims we refused repair and this is false, no discussion of this at all

(NPAI) Key facts as to if there is now some repair contract missing? What happende between prior fact and this one?* Store never mentions shipping laptop anywhere to us

Contract! Score!
It would be interesting to see what the contract says.
Especially all those little clauses regarding the store's relationship with you. But, we almost assuredly have privity with the store unless the contract says they are providing a service to you to return it to the manufacuturer, then the contract may be with Sony and your privity is there. So, on this key fact, we don't really know but predict it is with the store.* Arrange to actually have it repaired, to be picked up at store after repair, repair fee paid when picked up

OK, probably not an amendment to the contract. * Receive phone call from store that it will be ready in about 5 days

Breech! (Maybe, again depending on the contract.)*Call store this monday and laptop is MIA

OK, but not really relevant.* No help from store

OK, but not really relevant. Phone corporate, have to speak to supervisor as agent unable to help

OK, but not really relevant.* Supervisor attempts to blame Sony

Breach confirmed if store is who you have the contract with. Breach is confirmed if it was a bailment. * Supervisor refuses to provide replacement

That's nice of him. Good customer service.* Supervisor then checks to find location of laptop

Hmm...maybe, if there was a bailment, it wasn't breached. Who does FedEx say signed for it?* Supervisor says Fed Ex delivered it to our home on 2/8 according to company's tracking number

Irrelevant.* 2/8 is prior to the date that the call was received from the retailer that the laptop would be ready in 5 days

I'm not sure if this is relevant or not. It depends on the contract or bailment issues.* Superviosr says Sony unilaterally decided to ship laptop

Certainly proof of a breach if the contract was with store. But then we've already established that.* Supervisor tries to blame Sony for the loss and say that we had to deal with them

Minor breach, at best, resulting in no damages. We still need to know who FedEx says received the laptop.* The agreement was that the laptp was to be picked up at the store where dropped off

You mean there was *not* a meeting of the minds? Since you are not both merchants dealing with goods of a kind, how is "regular practice" relevant?* Shipping was never discussed at all and shipping is not the store's regular practice

Irrelevant.* Repair was over $600 and supervisor admitted to me that shipping to our home was unusual and made no sense

Looks like bailment to me here. But, (NPAI) and the first time is irrelevant to the second and relevant time.* When it was dropped off and put in for repair both times it was left in the care of the repair department staff and a form was provided

So, at the end of all the above we still don't know anything about anything. You have a blank form and a bunch of hearsay. * The second time it was left for repair (it had never been returned to our posession) is when the blank form became an issue

I'd follow up with FedEx.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">