• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchasing a used car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JetFixxxer

In Massachusetts.

I went to the dealership and gave them a down payment on a used car that I wanted. We did a bill of sale etc. A few items wanted to be fixed first. Well two days later they wanted to change the "deal" that we had. They said the banks wouldn't go for what I was asking. They even went as far as cashing the down payment check. Do they have to stick to the deal? They cashed the check and took my money.

seniorjudge

In Massachusetts.

I went to the dealership and gave them a down payment on a used car that I wanted. We did a bill of sale etc. A few items wanted to be fixed first. Well two days later they wanted to change the "deal" that we had. They said the banks wouldn't go for what I was asking. They even went as far as cashing the down payment check. Do they have to stick to the deal? They cashed the check and took my money.
This is a typical trick car dealers use.

What, exactly, does the stuff you have in writing say?

BoredAtty

What exactly does your paperwork say with regard to financing? Generally, there is some language that states that the car sale is dependent on being approved for financing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">