• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buying a Dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fish060

What is the name of your state? WI (buying dog in Illinois)

Hi, I have been speaking (via e-mail) to a breeder about purchasing a dog. On Monday I asked if the dog was still available. The breeder informed me that the dog was still availble and we set up a time to pick up the dog (at the agreed upon price.) So - we started buying items for this dog and have been making plans to go get him. Today, I received an e-mail from the breeder stating that she has decided to keep the dog (because a fellow breeder said she should keep him - at least that is her excuse!) I replied to her saying "We had an agreement" - to which she responded "I don't usually hold a puppy without a deposit" (this was the first time I had heard of a deposit.)

My questions are: Do I have a leg to stand on? Did we have a written agreement? Is there any legal recourse I could pursue? Anything I am not thinking of?

I know there are other dogs, etc... But my family is devistated - we have been looking at his picture all week and were supposed to pick him up Friday...What is the name of your state?

divgradcurl

What is the name of your state? WI (buying dog in Illinois)

Hi, I have been speaking (via e-mail) to a breeder about purchasing a dog. On Monday I asked if the dog was still available. The breeder informed me that the dog was still availble and we set up a time to pick up the dog (at the agreed upon price.) So - we started buying items for this dog and have been making plans to go get him. Today, I received an e-mail from the breeder stating that she has decided to keep the dog (because a fellow breeder said she should keep him - at least that is her excuse!) I replied to her saying "We had an agreement" - to which she responded "I don't usually hold a puppy without a deposit" (this was the first time I had heard of a deposit.)

My questions are: Do I have a leg to stand on? Did we have a written agreement? Is there any legal recourse I could pursue? Anything I am not thinking of?

I know there are other dogs, etc... But my family is devistated - we have been looking at his picture all week and were supposed to pick him up Friday...What is the name of your state?
Find another dog. There isn't anything else to do here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">