• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child choose who to live with 16yrs old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rangdor

What is the name of your state? Ohio
My Girlfriend has a mother who is not stable she has multiple mental issuse that affects her so far that she dosent work or drive because of all the medication she is on my girlfriend has told me of times were her mom has slaped her or even picked her up by the hair for things such as watching a movie with her brother without asking and i really dont think im exeaderating she was grounded for about a month because her mom saw me and her walking together i would like to know if she could go to a judge and say she wants to live with her dad but there is one thing woth her dad he dose smoke pot but he dosent wast all his money on it he donsent abuse her phyicly or emotionly but he is a nice guys i just would like to know what she can do?(sorry about my spelling and grammer)

>Charlotte<

Lurker
No, she cannot just go to a judge and say she wants to live with her dad. If circumstances warrant a change in custody, her father can start the necessary legal proceedings to try to achieve that. The judge might choose to speak to her and he might consider her wishes, but the decision is not up to her.

If your girlfriend is being abused there are agencies that deal with those issues. They would investigate the matter and, if warranted, take the proper steps to protect her.

An extremely knowledgable Ohio family law attorney belongs to this site, and she may offer more detailed information if/when she sees this thread. Stay tuned.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? Ohio
My Girlfriend has a mother who is not stable
And there is a medical diagnosis stating that she is NOT stable? If so, when did such diagnosis take place?

she has multiple mental issuse that affects her so far that she dosent work or drive because of all the medication she is on
Okay. Not a problem there. Many parents don't work or drive. Doesn't mean they cannot be parents or are unfit.

my girlfriend has told me of times were her mom has slaped her or even picked her up by the hair for things such as watching a movie with her brother without asking and
Any bruising? Did your girlfriend report this behavior to her teachers? Guidance counselor? principal?

i really dont think im exeaderating
But you do not know.

she was grounded for about a month because her mom saw me and her walking together
One has nothing to do with the other. How old are you? How old is your girlfriend? Mom has a right to ground her minor child. Mom also has a right to prohibit her minor daughter from dating anyone or just you specifically.

i would like to know if she could go to a judge and say she wants to live with her dad but
Nope. Well technically she could and it would not get her anywhere. There are legal methods to follow. Such as dad could sue for custody.

there is one thing woth her dad he dose smoke pot but he dosent wast all his money on it
Does dad work? Is dad aware of the "abuse"? If so why hasn't dad done anything? Oh and pot is illegal. Hence he is breaking the law.

he donsent abuse her phyicly or emotionly but he is a nice guys
That you know of. He is also a pothead which may contribute to his laid back persona. The other issue is if he knows about the treatment by mom then he is abusing his daughter. Or at least neglecting her. Which means he is NOT one of the nice guys. If he doesn't know, why not?

i just would like to know what she can do?(sorry about my spelling and grammer)
She can talk to her dad who is a nice guy. She can stay in school. You can stay in school. She can ask her dad if he will try to get custody. She can report her mother's behavior to a teacher/counselor.

Rangdor

And there is a medical diagnosis stating that she is NOT stable? If so, when did such diagnosis take place?

Okay. Not a problem there. Many parents don't work or drive. Doesn't mean they cannot be parents or are unfit.

Any bruising? Did your girlfriend report this behavior to her teachers? Guidance counselor? principal?
yes she has told the princable and he called childern services on her

But you do not know.

One has nothing to do with the other. How old are you? How old is your girlfriend? Mom has a right to ground her minor child. Mom also has a right to prohibit her minor daughter from dating anyone or just you specifically.
i am 17 she is 16 there is not a big difference between ages and its not just me its any boys

Nope. Well technically she could and it would not get her anywhere. There are legal methods to follow. Such as dad could sue for custody.

Does dad work? Is dad aware of the "abuse"? If so why hasn't dad done anything? Oh and pot is illegal. Hence he is breaking the law.
yes im not sure if he is aware

That you know of. He is also a pothead which may contribute to his laid back persona. The other issue is if he knows about the treatment by mom then he is abusing his daughter. Or at least neglecting her. Which means he is NOT one of the nice guys. If he doesn't know, why not?

She can talk to her dad who is a nice guy. She can stay in school. You can stay in school. She can ask her dad if he will try to get custody. She can report her mother's behavior to a teacher/counselor.
she has been taken out of school because her mom didnt want me and her being together she is now home schooled and her mom wont let us talk on the phone acully her mom wont let her talk to anyone other then family

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Choosing to home-school her daughter, not allowing her to socialize with you, and restricting telephone use are all within her rights as a parent.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
she has been taken out of school because her mom didnt want me and her being together she is now home schooled and her mom wont let us talk on the phone acully her mom wont let her talk to anyone other then family
Well if she can talk to family then dad is family.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">