• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Closing Out Decedent's Accounts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

reeve79

My sister and I are co-executrix of my father's will. We live in Ohio, and our father lived in Louisiana at the time of his death. Once we have his will and death certificates, we need to close out his bank accounts and retrieve the funds in order to pay his remaining debts. My questions are simple, but no one at the bank will answer it: Are the will and death certificates the only documents that are needed to close out the account; and can the account be closed out at a local (Ohio) branch of the bank, or do we have to be in the state he died in to accomplish this? If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

tranquility

My questions are simple, but no one at the bank will answer it: Are the will and death certificates the only documents that are needed to close out the account
Banks usually tell us how they want things done and how they want things done is usually far more than the law requires. However, the bank cannot give you legal advice and that is where the problem lies. They will need you to get letters testimentary (there are different names in different states) which is a notice from the court that you are authorized to handle the estate's affairs.

To get them, you need to petition the court. There you will need the will and death certificate.

hooblert

If probate

If you have put the will into the probate process you will also need the letters testamentary in order to close out the accounts or establish an estate account. I chose to establish an estate account to make sure there were monies available for debts, fees, etc. associated with settling the estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">