• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misleading

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marybo

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I purchased a custom- order leather couch 8 months ago. I selected the highest grade leather so it would last longer. After six months in my home the side of one of the cushions was splitting. The furniture company sent out an upholstery tech to replace the cushion cover. I was told by the tech that the side of my cushions was vinyl made to match the leather and that is why it split.

The manufacturer told me the couch is available in all leather but the store ordered the leather/vinyl model...apparently the whole back, sides, etc are all vinyl. I feel cheated. I was never told any of my sofa would be viny...the word vinyl was never mentioned.. The store has yet to call me back.What is the name of your state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I purchased a custom- order leather couch 8 months ago. I selected the highest grade leather so it would last longer. After six months in my home the side of one of the cushions was splitting. The furniture company sent out an upholstery tech to replace the cushion cover. I was told by the tech that the side of my cushions was vinyl made to match the leather and that is why it split.

The manufacturer told me the couch is available in all leather but the store ordered the leather/vinyl model...apparently the whole back, sides, etc are all vinyl. I feel cheated. I was never told any of my sofa would be viny...the word vinyl was never mentioned.. The store has yet to call me back.What is the name of your state?
Did you have a question?
What does your contract say?

marybo

My purchase receipt says the couch cover is 63-21 which I was told was the number for the color and grade leather I selected, but the invoice from the manufacturer says the inside cover is 0063-21 and the outside cover is 5163-21 ( which I assume is the matching vinyl). I want to know if I have the right to get a total leather couch.
Thank you.

seniorjudge

I re-read your post.

Yeah, if you think you were damaged, sue in small claims court for the actual dollar amount of damages.

My purchase receipt says the couch cover is 63-21 which I was told was the number for the color and grade leather I selected, but the invoice from the manufacturer says the inside cover is 0063-21 and the outside cover is 5163-21 ( which I assume is the matching vinyl). I want to know if I have the right to get a total leather couch.
Thank you.
I'm sorry. You're receipt is proof you will not get a brand new all leather couch to replace the one you have. Upon paying for the couch you should have reviewed the receipt and asked yourself WHY does your high grade all leather couch need a cover if it is supposed to be an ALL leather covered couch. The difference in the two product #'s should have automatically alerted you. If this ? was posed to the retailer before you left the store OR upon receipt of the couch the exchange/replacement wouldn't be an issue. Now that 8 months has passed, they're going to tell you thats what YOU ordered and thats what you paid for. It will look like you are trying to get a new couch only because the other one split. Always review your receipts after EVERY purchase to ensure you are getting exactly what you paid for and not getting overcharged for other items you may not have been aware of.

marybo

Since it was a custom order I was required to pay in full before delivery. The only receipt I had when I paid was for a couch with leather #63-21. The card stating the other info (outside material being a matching vinyl #5163-21) was stapled to the bottom of the couch by the manufacturer. We just found this card when the upholstry tech came to repair it...Yes, I am upset that it is cracking. I paid a high price for leather and got half vinyl.

By the way there is no cover over the couch. By covering I mean the material it is made of.

Last edited:
Since it was a custom order I was required to pay in full before delivery. The only receipt I had when I paid was for a couch with leather #63-21. The card stating the other info (outside material being a matching vinyl #5163-21) was stapled to the bottom of the couch. We just found when the upoulstry tech came to repair it...Yes, I am upset that it is cracking. I paid a high price for leather and got half vinyl.

By the way there is no cover over the couch. By covering I mean the material it is made of.

Thank you for the additional details. Its more clear to me and it may seem that the evidence you have is in your favor. However, I still stand by my initial post. It will turn into a game of he said she said. You said you wanted an all leather couch. You were delivered a leather couch that has leather and a matching vinyl siding. The receipt on hand says a "couch with leather #63-21." Retailer can easily argue thats how we make our couches. I never said it was 100% leather, receipt doesn't state 100% leather. You didn't ask, I don't tell. It will be VERY difficult for you to prove the retailer INTENTIONALLY tried to rip you off. Unfortunately, I don't see the retailer feeling bad and making you a brand new custom couch out of their own pocket. It sucks but its reality. Misleading? Yes! Shady business? Yes! Against the law? No!

marybo

I selected the upholstry material which was a high grade leather and the only material listed on my receipt or discussed was the leather. I understand the he said she said and agree I have a uphill battle, but if I had bought a couch off the display floor I could agree. This was custom made for me and there is no mention of any vinyl on my receipt. The only place the vinyl code number was found was on the manufacturer's card underneath the couch. The manufactuer states the couch is available in all leather, but the store ordered the cheaper version. In any case, I will shop more carefully in the future.

las365

CMLANDLORD, are you an attorney? If not, you should really make it clear that you are stating your opinion as a layperson and not speak in absolutes. A consumer is not required to understand a store or manufacturer's codes for merchandise.

marybo, I am not a lawyer, but Senior Judge is. You can certainly pursue a claim; it might fall under breach of contract, or fraud, or deceptive trade practices. There is no guarantee that you would prevail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">