• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I think im being messed with by executor possibly....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

detroitboom

What is the name of your state? Michigan

its coming up on 2 years since my father passed, he passed march 20th 2006.

Little backstory, me and my siblings dont have the same mom so I dont talk to them much, and I dont talk to their side of the family AT ALL.

Also the will was unsigned, and the estate is "unsupervised"....im not sure if thats bad or not aswell.

Ok, well my father passed away march of 2006, while he was in the hospital on his death bed, a lawyer came and i had to sign a paper to make my aunt executor i believe....i was not in a mindstate to think anyone would be screwing me over so i signed.

My father left a buisness, which was sold for 133,000 last summer , and he also left houses which arent sold yet. they were appraised though.

well it will be 2 years in march and i still havent recieved my full share.

In may of 2007 my aunt had me and my 2 siblings go to her house and she gave us each 7,000 dollars of the money...she said she couldnt give it all yet because she has to wait and see if anyone comes forward that my dad owes. she said in a few months if they dont come forward in 60 days she would distribute the rest and put me and my siblings in charge of selling the houses on our own.

Well I wait and wait and still nothing,its been 8 months since that happened and everytime i talk to my brother he tells me the moneys coming and were waiting to go into probate, that my aunt is just busy and shes taking longer than she should because she works for the mayor and is always busy. And that were waiting to get a court date?

He seems sincere and in need of money as much as I am and seems like hes being serious about it but I dont trust him or anyone on that side of the family, so im kinda scared I may be getting screwed and I dont know what to do.

Are they messing with me?

Also ive tried to contact he lawyer that handles the estate a few months back and he told me not to call him, but to call my aunt and talk to her because he costs 100 dollars an hour and that these things take time.....even though my dads estate money is paying for him, im not allowed to talk to him? I dont get it.

Recently I recieved 1,000 dollars more instead of the 500 i thought was coming...this was around christmas.
also around this time my aunt wrote me a short letter saying everything should be done by the end of january.

in the beginning of february i got the inventory packet in the mail, its lists how much the buisness was sold for, and how much the houses were appraised for and such. would I even get this packet if they were trying to screw me over? it doesnt say me or my bros or sisters name in it anywhere.

ok 1 last thing, IF they are trying to mess with me, what could I ask the lawyer to send me to make sure they dont? like what specific paper that has my name on it?

Please give me your opinion on the situation. and any ideas of what I should do?
I dont have money right now for my own lawyer so i dont know...

Thank you alot

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Probate may be taking longer than normal because they have assets they are trying to sell and the tax forms and implications must also be worked out.

By the time everything is settled you should be receiving a check if you are a legal heir.

What you can do right now is go to the county courthouse and look at the probate file to see what paperwork has been done up until now just to be informed about how the estate is being handled.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

detroitboom

I dont know, the buisness is sold, has been for a year now.

only thing left is the 2 houses and a few cars, and my aunt told me in may of 07' in 6 months from that time she was gonna distribute the rest of the money and leave us ( the kids) to sell the houses and cars on our own.

also

would the public access files online at my local court website be the same as the file i would get if i went to the court.

just saying they DID screw me over, is there anyway to sue them? this is stressing me out:(

mytwogirls

hire your own lawyer

Your story sounds like what I have been going through. First thing you should do, is hire your own Attorney and then your Attorney can contact the Attorney who is handling your father estate. If the Will was filed at the courthouse, you can go to the courthouse and get a copy of the Will. If you live out of state, the probate of the Courts and just ask them if one was filed. You really need to know what your rights are. I learned the hard way, trust no one. Hire your own Attorney.

Dandy Don

Public access files are many times not complete. Go to the courthouse and look at the file yourself so you can see what actually has happened with this estate. And you will eventually need an attorney to help interpret everything and to get information about how the money from the sale of the business was handled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">