• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ANOTHER ex-boyfriend question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momijichan

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Sorry in advance, I didn't realize this would be so long when I started!

I'm yet another person here with an issue with an ex-boyfriend over property. He bought a number of things when we were living together, including some furniture, a guitar he bought me for my birthday, and some hardware for my computer.

The guitar was very obviously a gift since it was for my birthday. Also when he bought the furniture, he told me that he wanted me to keep it "no matter what," even if we broke up (our relationship was already on the rocks at that point). After we did break up for good, a few weeks later in May of last year, he again told me that he wanted me to keep everything. We never discussed the computer parts specifically, but he did not mention them when we broke up.

There were some other things that went on. We got a number of items on my credit cards for him, that he promised to pay back. Also there was a matter of a truck in my name, which he also promised to pay back. I never indicated these things were gifts.

Anyway. To make a long story short, he ended up moving out of state in July and taking the truck and other items with him. He did make payments to me on them, but always late, and I was tired of dealing with him. So around September I started to ask him to bring me the truck back. He never did, so I went to South Carolina and got it in November. I've been paying for the truck since then.

I tried to get the other items from him then (a GPS, a stereo that was in the truck), but they were not in the truck, and he told me they had been stolen.

I've pretty much decided that pursuing repayment isn't worth the effort and to pay off these things myself.

He never mentioned wanting the furniture back until I started to ask for the truck back. We argued back and forth over it some. Of course now he is claiming they were never gifts, and threatening to sue me for everything, the guitar, computer parts, furniture, etc.

He did put most of them on his credit card, but I'm fairly certain that he no longer has any receipts.

If this goes to court, from what I've read here, it will come down to whether the judge believes they were gifts or not. Who has the burden of proof here? I don't have any documentation from him saying they were gifts. Of course if he does sue me I can countersue for the money for the truck loan and GPS/stereo. I don't have any documentation on that but he did make payments to me, mostly in the form of deposits to my bank account and wiring money to me, so would that help prove my point?

Although the balance of the truck loan is way more than the furniture and everything is worth, I'm willing to just drop everything and chalk it up as a life lesson on my part. He's not the most reasonable person though.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">