• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disinheriting, donating to charity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lovescuba

What is the name of your state? CA

Reading all these posts got me thinking about making my own will:

Question 1 -- I have 2 brothers (their wives and families) living about 2,000 miles away, I saw them both maybe half a dozen times in the last 60 years, they are both doing great financially and don't need what's in my trailer, do I need to specifically exclude them or just not mention them in my will? I have no husband or children.

Question 2 -- in the above mentioned trailer is furnished in "early salvation army", at a celebration of life ceremony, or funeral if you wish, I would like my friends to each pick of what's sentimental value to them and donate the rest to whatever charity will take it, might be that only the garbage man will!

My cremation is pre-paid and the trailer will go to the lady who does my wash and some house cleaning, she is the only one who is willing to be stuck with it, there is no money.

thank you for any advice

TinkerBelleLuvr

You may want to mention them in the will so that everyone knows that it wasn't an oversight on your part. For all it matters, you can leave them a dollar each.

seniorjudge

Question 1 -- I have 2 brothers (their wives and families) living about 2,000 miles away, I saw them both maybe half a dozen times in the last 60 years, they are both doing great financially and don't need what's in my trailer, do I need to specifically exclude them or just not mention them in my will? I have no husband or children.

A: Say something like, "[their names and relationship to you] are not in need of my assistance."

Question 2 -- in the above mentioned trailer is furnished in "early salvation army", at a celebration of life ceremony, or funeral if you wish, I would like my friends to each pick of what's sentimental value to them and donate the rest to whatever charity will take it, might be that only the garbage man will! My cremation is pre-paid and the trailer will go to the lady who does my wash and some house cleaning, she is the only one who is willing to be stuck with it, there is no money.

A: You will need a will for that, unless you have some exceptionally trustworthy cronies who will do this for you. Or you could go around now and tape this kind of message on the stuff: "Property of [the paper boy's name or whoever]." There is no guarantee that your wishes will be carried out; read the newspapers: it happens to rich and poor alike.

curb1

I think you should say something really nice to your brothers and just explain that the things you have will be left to very good friends from the area. No use leaving this world with any kind of friction.

lovescuba

Thank you all, good points!
The brothers and I are OK, they might be thinking that I stuck money under the mattress, me living in "rich" California and all.

When the will is probated, will every chipped plate, three legged stool and couch covered with slip-cover to hide rips have to be appraised? because if that it so, it will cost more to appraise than stuff is worth.

A neighboor had stuff similar to mine and we only found one charity, St. Vincent de Paul to take it away.

I want to make it so there is no trouble to anyone, there might be enough money for tea and cake after the last rent payment and utilities, my cronies will pick momentos and Lucy will move into the trailer. Do you still suggest a simple will?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">