• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Video Card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BRuTAL_HiTMAN_

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Alright so a friend of mine here in college borrowed a video card, it worked when i had it, and i have one, maybe two witnesses who can say it was working when i had it. About a week and a half after i gave the video card to my friend to borrow he told me it just stopped working. he said the motherboard on his computer was conflicting with it. So im like oh alright. So then when i go to put it in my computer, i can't get a picture. i try another, can't get a picture. i try different DVI ports and everything, can't get a picture. i can get 3 people to verify it doesn't work any longer, plus i can contact the manufacturer of the video card and talk to them and probably get a statement from them that the card is in fact dead. All i asked was for my friend to replace it with an equal card, which it cost me $50, and after he rejected it i was pretty steamed, so i talked to him again about a week later and i was like alright, ur in college, im in college, i understand things are tight, so i'll pay for half of the card if u pay for half, and i'll buy us pizza, my treat, to show there's no hard feelings. he reponds that's he not paying me anything for it. All i want is my video card or an equivilant card to replace it, i told him he's welcome to look for himself and shop around to find a cheaper one and he rejected this also.

Im wondering if i have a case, and after reading this: http://www.in.gov/judiciary/pubs/handbooks/small-claims-manual(2005).pdf
im wondering if i would need to bring my whole computer in and show it doesn't work, and i bought the video card online so would printouts from paypal be enough to prove how much i paid for it, or would i need to sign into my paypal account to show how much i spent?

oh and also it was from ebay because it was an older video card and most stores don't sell it, but it was still in new condition and working when i got it, if it wasn't i would be taking it up with ebay and paypal.

Last edited:

SHORTY LONG

Side note: Have you tried to update your drivers; and is the card still under warranty, if not, can you
contact your credit card company and dispute the charge or has it been long ago when you bought it on line?

You can start your computer in safe mode either F5 or F8 key, and try and update your drivers from there. Also,
if you cannot update your drivers in safe mode, then try while in safe mode to scroll up to Enable VGA Mode,
click enter and follow the instructions.

Lastly, I do hope you will keep us up to date.

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Computer parts can be easily damaged by static electricity that you might never feel. Were you wearing a anti-static wristband when you removed the video card? Were you at an anti-static work area? If not, I'd say you might as well count this one gone and learn from the lesson.

BRuTAL_HiTMAN_

"Side note: Have you tried to update your drivers; and is the card still under warranty, if not, can you
contact your credit card company and dispute the charge or has it been long ago when you bought it on line?

You can start your computer in safe mode either"

u have the most up to date drivers, and considering i have another card EXACTLY like it, because i was running SLI, exact same manufacturer, model, specs, all the exact same. And also i can't get a picture period, even when it starts up, i can't see anything at all even before the drivers load.

the card is no longer under warranty. the guy i lent it to enjoys overclocking, and i suspect he overclocked the crap outta the card..

"Computer parts can be easily damaged by static electricity that you might never feel. Were you wearing a anti-static wristband when you removed the video card? Were you at an anti-static work area? If not, I'd say you might as well count this one gone and learn from the lesson."

I was holding onto the case when i handed him the card, and he was standing on concrete floors, the case grounded me, and the guy even said the card was working for a few days then stopped working while he was using it. if it would have taken static damage it wouldn't have worked in his computer in the first place.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So you bought a used card for $50, then used it, then loaned it out.
The card is currently worth probably $12.75 (and that's being generous). Tell your friend to take you out to lunch and call it even.

SHORTY LONG

the card was still in the originally packaging still sealed.
Unless I overlooked your original post, I am confused which at times is very easy to do.
Wherein did you not say that the person you loaned it to used it? Then, how in cain
could it still be sealed in the original packaging <unless friend resealed it>!

Do a Safe Mode and scroll up to Enable VGA mode and let us know how that worked;
or as Zigner suggested, see if your friend will take you out to lunch and call it even.
Who knows you might just get the best of both worlds so-to-speak.

Zigner

the card was still in the originally packaging still sealed.
In your original post you said (paraphrasing) that the card worked for you and you had witnesses that it was working for you.

NOW, you say it was sealed in the original packaging. Ya can't have it both ways...

SHORTY LONG

Zigner, you are absolutely correct.:) I forgot to restate, that is, if the safe mode works, and friend agrees for lunch and call it even.:eek:

BRuTAL_HiTMAN_

sorry let me explain this again, when i bought the card off ebay it was still in it's original packaging, then i opened it and used it for about a month before letting him borrow it. and as i stated, it's sort of hard to go into safe mode, when the computer boots up it displays NOTHING, i can't get a picture with that card. the drivers aren't loaded until windows boots up. if i can't get a picture from booting, meaning i can't see the BIOS, i can't see the motherboard logo loading screen, nothing, the screen stays black and my monitor flashes trying to detect input. the video card is not sending out a signal anymore at all. it's not a drivers issue, if it was anything, it would be a BIOS setting, but i have already cleared the CMOS, and considering i never changed anything in the BIOS i have another card exactly like it that works fine with the same BIOS settings, it's not a BIOS or drivers problem.

Zigner

So you bought a card for $50, then used it, then loaned it out.
The card is currently worth probably $12.75 (and that's being generous). Tell your friend to take you out to lunch and call it even.
I've updated my earlier quote, based on new information provided.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">