• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the legal age to leave home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnnyedmondson

What is the name of your state? Ga.
Hi, I am the non-custodial father of a 17 y/o female. She has moved out of her mothers house, she says, because she cant put up with the mental abuse from her mother and step-father. She has moved in with some friends and they live in my nieghborhood, so I can keep an eye on her. She says that she is thinking of getting married to be emansipated from her mom. Is there any way that she can do it without getting married? Thanks for any "good advise"

>Charlotte<

Lurker
She will need to file a petition for emancipation in her county’s juvenile court. The petition should include her name, birth date, the county and state where she was born, a certified copy of her birth certificate, the names and addresses of her parents or guardian, her address and how long she has lived there, and:

A declaration by the minor indicating that he or she has demonstrated the ability to manage his or her financial affairs; the minor may include any information he or she considers necessary to support the declaration;

A declaration by the minor indicating that he or she has the ability to manage his or her personal and social affairs; the minor may include any information he or she considers necessary to support the declaration; and

The names of adults who have personal knowledge of the minor's circumstances and believe that under those circumstances emancipation is in the best interest of the minor. Such individuals may include any of the following: a licensed physician, a registered professional nurse or licensed practical nurse, a professional counselor, social worker, school guidance counselor, school social worker, or school psychologist, school administrator, school principal, or school teacher, a member of the clergy, a law enforcement officer, or an attorney.

The most important part of this is, as seniorjudge stated, she must demonstrate that she has the ability to support herself entirely, as adults are expected to do. She’s going to have to demonstrate that by showing proof of her expenses, and proof of her income.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Ga.
Hi, I am the non-custodial father of a 17 y/o female. She has moved out of her mothers house, she says, because she cant put up with the mental abuse from her mother and step-father. She has moved in with some friends and they live in my nieghborhood, so I can keep an eye on her. She says that she is thinking of getting married to be emansipated from her mom. Is there any way that she can do it without getting married? Thanks for any "good advise"
Ahh...So on YOUR thread you want "good advise" (and that would be advice) But on another thread you felt it was just fine to advise illegal actions to the OP...Gottcha!
:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">