• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

kiddie tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

familygg

I was trying to prepare taxes for me and wife. Our son (5 years old) had about $300 in capital gains distributions from mutual funds and $700 dollars in capital gains from the sale of a mutual fund (reported in a form 1099-b). I am not sure where on our tax return we put the capital gains from the sale of his mutual funds? The forms only appear have capital gains distribution from a from 1099-div.

Do I have to do a separate return for my son? Is that advisable?

Does anyone have any answers.

L

loku

Income of dependent child

Your dependent child had unearned income of more than $700; therefore he must file a return, or you can include your child’s income on your tax return by completing Form 8814 and attaching it to your return. If you do, your child is not required to file a return.

There may be a little more tax by including the income in your own return because of your tax bracket; however, you save yourself the trouble of filing the extra return.

F

familygg

Thanks for the answer.
I thought that mightbe the answer.
I'll probably have him file his own return and prepare it through turbo tax.

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">