• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I file a civil suit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abused92

What is the name of your state? tennessee

Sorry . Now you can post your response

This guy and i were living together, he was down on his luck and unemployed. I spent my time applying for positions online for him providing shelter, food, taking him in interviews. Everything. He was using my cell phone house phone water elec. and so on. I asked him if he planned on leaving once he was back on his feet he said no. His daughters mother did not have anything to do with him until he had gotten a job in Sep., which i spent the whole day taking him to the dr to get his testing. I the process i had lost my job and apt he still stayed with me at a time share resort that i had, i had gotten another job and he moved in with me still. I was taking him to work picking him up and re arranging my schedule to fit his. Now he has gotten an apt for his daughter and her mother i asked him again if he is planning on leaving me he said no. I feel like now that he is on his feet he is going to leave.
Can I file a Civil Suit against him for all that I have provided and mental distress?

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Q: What is the name of your state? Tennessee

This guy and i were living together, he was down on his luck and unemployed. I spent my time applying for positions online for him providing shelter, food, taking him in interviews. Everything. He was using my cell phone house phone water elec. and so on. I asked him if he planned on leaving once he was back on his feet he said no. His daughters mother did not have anything to do with him until he had gotten a job in Sep., which i spent the whole day taking him to the dr to get his testing. I the process i had lost my job and apt he still stayed with me at a time share resort that i had, i had gotten another job and he moved in with me still. I was taking him to work picking him up and re arranging my schedule to fit his. Now he has gotten an apt for his daughter and her mother i asked him again if he is planning on leaving me he said no. I feel like now that he is on his feet he is going to leave.
Can I file a Civil Suit against him for all that I have provided and mental distress?

A: Unless you have a written agreement that he pay you back something, then you will not win a case against him (including damages for "mental distress").

VeronicaLodge

you can file a suit against yourself, from what I can tell your emotional stress was caused by decisions you made for yourself. I'm sorry you are getting jerked around but there isn't a law against being a jerk and you have it within your control to not be a victim in these types of situations. good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">