• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Schools Legal Right

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamesd

What is the name of your state?
South Dakota

Hello,
I will make this very quick and easy. Cell phones are banned at our schools and students bring them in anyways. My friend had his cell phone in class texting and he got caught. They took the cell phone away (to be picked up after school) Its all good up till that point. Does the teacher or school have any right to go through that students text messages? What if they were to find information that could lead to another student getting in trouble (its not anything to do with violence or drugs) Could they use that information against the student?
Being a student in school I know you don't have many rights but would this be a violation of both students rights?

-James

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">