• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom killed on the job, no will, untrustworthy husband, what can adult kids do? HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pillis1978

What is the name of your state? I live in NC, but my mother lived/died in NY.

My mother was killed in an automobile accident while on the job and driving a New York State vehicle. The other motorist was found to be at fault...she crossed the yellow line causing a head-on crash. At the time of her death, my mom had no current will (she had previously made a will before getting re-married).

I am the oldest child and have two younger siblings. All of us are over 18 though. She was married to her current husband for about 2 years. It has become clear that he is untrustworthy and not thinking of what my mom's wishes would have been. He was named Administrator. He received the state death benefit of 3 times her annual salary. He used this money to pay off debts of my mother's as well as his own personal debts.

He also received an accidental death benefit from her union, and most recently agreed to a settlement with the insurance company. He has made it clear that he feels all the money is his and he will do as he sees fit. He has no intention of giving her three children any of the money.

My question is do us three kids have any legal standing to try to go after any of the money that he has received and refuses to share with us? The lump sum death benefit he received because my mom had made him the beneficiary of her pension when they got married, so I'm assuming that money is out the question and most of it went to pay debts anyway. But particularly the insurance settlement...are surviiving adult children entitled to anything? There will also be a worker's compensation benefit at some point in the near future. He says this benefit will be a maximum of $400 a week payable to him and once again nothing for any of us.

If anyone has any knowledge or information or advice that could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

xylene

What is the name of your state? I live in NC, but my mother lived/died in NY.

My mother was killed in an automobile accident while on the job and driving a New York State vehicle. The other motorist was found to be at fault...she crossed the yellow line causing a head-on crash. At the time of her death, my mom had no current will (she had previously made a will before getting re-married).
That terrible. I'm very sorry.

I am the oldest child and have two younger siblings. All of us are over 18 though. She was married to her current husband for about 2 years. It has become clear that he is untrustworthy and not thinking of what my mom's wishes would have been.
Mom left no wishes. So what is left is the rules of intestate inheritance.

He was named Administrator. He received the state death benefit of 3 times her annual salary. He used this money to pay off debts of my mother's as well as his own personal debts.
This is proper.

He also received an accidental death benefit from her union, and most recently agreed to a settlement with the insurance company. He has made it clear that he feels all the money is his and he will do as he sees fit. He has no intention of giving her three children any of the money.
The death benefit is paid to the spouse, as she specified. This is not part of her estate anyway.

The person wronged in the wrongful death claim was him, he lost his spouse. He had standfing to sue and did. Were you a party to the wrongful death action? Did you sign any papers relating to your rights as a survivor?

If you have standing and did not wave any rights, consider your own wrongful death action

My question is do us three kids have any legal standing to try to go after any of the money that he has received and refuses to share with us?
My opinion is no. These settlements were no part of your mom's estate.

The lump sum death benefit he received because my mom had made him the beneficiary of her pension when they got married, so I'm assuming that money is out the question and most of it went to pay debts anyway.
Step dad could have blown it at Vegas. It was his money

But particularly the insurance settlement...are surviiving adult children entitled to anything? There will also be a worker's compensation benefit at some point in the near future.
WC, nothing.

Wrongful death? You were wronged by the death of mom. You need to talk to a lawyer about that.

He says this benefit will be a maximum of $400 a week payable to him and once again nothing for any of us.
He is right. You are adults, he was the spouse, she directed her benefits that way.

If anyone has any knowledge or information or advice that could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.
You should consult with a grief counselor. You describe unresolved family issues that battling step-dad over mom's pension that she designated him as beneficiary of will change nothing. So you do have some sense of mom's wishes. They but they feel hurtful.

Good luck in your recovery from the violent death of a loved one. Best wishes.

pillis1978

Xylene...thanks for your responses.

I'd like to clear up your last bit of information. There are no unresolved family issues, because we were never a family. My mom married this guy after all kids were out of the house, so he has never been our stepfather, simply our mom's husband.

Also, regarding her wishes...that's kind of the sticking point. The three of us kids were her life, so in my opinion, there is no way that it would be my mom's wishes for her husband of 2 years to keep all the money received and give none to her kids, who after all, have lost their mother and only surviving parent. We are not even arguing at all about the pension because obviously that is a closed case with my mom making him the beneficiary. I don't believe she made him beneficiary because she wanted us to have nothing it was more of a formality when getting married (why she didn't complete the other formality of making an updated will is something that I'll never understand). He also made her the beneficiary of his pension.

All 3 of us kids had to sign waivers stating that we didn't object to his being named Administrator of the estate. Pretty much had no options as far as that goes, or so we thought, because the proceedings took place in northern NY and I live in NC. Besides, her husband made all kinds of claims of his intentions earlier that he is not living up to since the money has come in. According to a letter I got from the Surrogate court, we are "listed in the affidavit as a distributee (nearest blood relative) of the deceased or as a beneficiary named in the Will"

I just don't understand how an insurance settlement is reached and he is under no obligation to divide that money between the four of us. We lost our mother, he lost his spouse of 2 years and had only known her for four. Just doesn't seem right. So, by signing papers waiving an argument to him being named Administrator would that have not made us a party in the wrongful death suit?

xylene

Xylene...thanks for your responses.

I'd like to clear up your last bit of information. There are no unresolved family issues, because we were never a family. My mom married this guy after all kids were out of the house, so he has never been our stepfather, simply our mom's husband.
I was talking about with mom.

Also, regarding her wishes...that's kind of the sticking point. The three of us kids were her life, so in my opinion, there is no way that it would be my mom's wishes for her husband of 2 years to keep all the money received and give none to her kids, who after all, have lost their mother and only surviving parent. We are not even arguing at all about the pension because obviously that is a closed case with my mom making him the beneficiary. I don't believe she made him beneficiary because she wanted us to have nothing it was more of a formality when getting married (why she didn't complete the other formality of making an updated will is something that I'll never understand). He also made her the beneficiary of his pension.
Well, legally, none of that changes none of it.

All 3 of us kids had to sign waivers stating that we didn't object to his being named Administrator of the estate.
Had to or else what? This would have been the ideal time to enlist legal counsel.

Pretty much had no options as far as that goes, or so we thought, because the proceedings took place in northern NY and I live in NC. Besides, her husband made all kinds of claims of his intentions earlier that he is not living up to since the money has come in. According to a letter I got from the Surrogate court, we are "listed in the affidavit as a distributee (nearest blood relative) of the deceased or as a beneficiary named in the Will"
Seems like pretty standard intestate inheritance language. (no will inheritance) Nothing wrong there.

I just don't understand how an insurance settlement is reached and he is under no obligation to divide that money between the four of us.
Insurance settled with HIM. Get it? It isn't your mothers money to be distributed. If you have a claim to make, you make it against the party who wronged you.

We lost our mother, he lost his spouse of 2 years and had only known her for four.
That is not how the law sees marriage.

Just doesn't seem right.
The perosn you need to forgive is mom,

BUT none of that would change his claims on the pension, the settelment and the WC.

So, by signing papers waiving an argument to him being named Administrator would that have not made us a party in the wrongful death suit?
I do not know. I DO know that you must get a lawyer to pursue any wrongful action of your own and to fully understand the options you have.

Right now, it would seem that step-dad has no legal reason forcing him to distribute anything.

Dandy Don

Talk to a business law lawyer or an attorney who has experience with the type of case your stepfather had to find out if you could perhaps file an interpleader action with the insurance company to find out details about the settlement or to find out if the children have legal standing to be involved with the settlement or whether the insurance company would technically/legally be required to make the settlement check payable to the ESTATE and not necessarily to the husband as payee.

Look at the probate file paperwork to see if there is any mention in there of the settlement as an estate asset or not.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">