• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MIP in MI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mihockeyplayer

Hi, I'm 17 and I live in Michigan and got caught drinking. As a resault I got a MIP, I blew a 0.095 on the breathalizer and this is my first offence. I'm trying to get a feel for what I'm in for as far as fines and such go. I have gotten conflicting information from diferent sources and can not stop thinking about it. Please help!

quincy

A Michigan law that went into effect in 2004 is one of the strongest Minor in Possession laws in the country. This "new" law prohibits any bodily alcohol content for minors (with a few exceptions for religious drinking, drinking for an educational purpose, and when drinking was done in Canada or Wisconsin).

Although a minor in possession is a misdemeanor charge with up to $100 in fines, and alcohol education or treatment and community service requirements, judges have some discretion. They can, for instance, order jail time for juveniles with a prior MIP, and they can also give first-time offenders, like you, a way to avoid having any misdemeanor record at all.

With your MIP, a judge can give you probation, the terms of which are similar to what you would face with your misdemeanor charge - although there may be random or regular chemical breath testing required as well. If you meet all terms of your probation, you can have the case discharged and dismissed, and you will not have to report any arrest on any employment forms, college application forms, et al.

There will be a record of your arrest available to law enforcement officials and the court, in the event you violate the law again.

quincy

It never hurts to have an attorney.

And you should review seniorjudge's posts on this forum, for his advice on what to do and what not to do when you appear in court. His suggestions are good ones, and can make a difference in the outcome. Use the "Search" feature found at the top in the yellow bar.

Good luck. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">