• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father Died w/o Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CortneyGirl

I live in Indiana, but my father resided in Florida.

I recently received a phone call from an attorney's office in Florida. They said that it's regarding my father's estate. Since he did not have a living will, they have to sell the house he resided in w/ my step mother. She is the executive person on the estate. I was told that my brother and I are the only ones to receive any money out of this settlement. Since my step mother is selling the house, trailer, whatever they owned as property, should I be involved in the selling process? What steps do I need to take so they don't try to screw the situation up. They do not like my family so they will try anything they can to mess things up. What can I do? What steps do I need to take? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Cortney

CortneyGirl

They are a family law and estate attorney. I have no clue who hired this attorney. I just don't know what to do -- I don't want to get screwed out of my fair share either!

CortneyGirl

The attorney's office said they are sending out a beneficiary form for me to complete. When that comes, I was going to hire an attorney to look over the paperwork. I believe since my father had unpaid debt, they hired the attorney to cover some of his expenses... Since my step mother's name isn't on any of the deeds for the property and my father didn't have a will, it will be divided out to my brother, my step mom, and me. From my understanding at least.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">