• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

proof of certified mail being sent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Todd T

What is the name of your state? IL

Is there a way of sending certified mail to know where and just showing a receipt that you sent "something, somewhere" to satisfy the judge?

We have a former employee that was suposed to mail his DOT required paperwork to us a week ago. He told DOT officials he mailed it on Wednesday Feb. 19th via certified mail. The mailing should have taken no more than 3 days to get to its destination (Stl MO to Chicago IL); 7 days and still no records.

If we take him to small claims court over this will a judge require him to show proof further than just a reciept of something being sent on that date?

Last edited:

CraigFL

You need to ask for and pay for a return receipt. This is the green card that attaches to the letter(USPS) that the recipient signs to prove it was delivered.

Todd T

Thanks Craig, I understand how to send it certified if your intentions are all good.

What has happened here is our former employee owes me paperwork. He knows this paperwork is vital to me getting paid (we are talking thousands of dollars) and I suspect, he is playing games to delay sending the paperwork, if ever.

How can I force him to turn over this paperwork? not just show a reciept that he sent "something" on that day but get the actual documentation or at the very least have him prove it was adressed correctly to the right place, and mailed properly so that we can pursue the lost items through the postal service. Again that is "IF" he really sent it at all.

My lawyer is telling me to give it another week. I think I need a more aggressive lawyer. It shouldnt take two weeks for something to get from St Louis, MO to Chicago, IL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">