• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Threat of rape if son asks for visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mamdaisy

What is the name of your state? Oregon
In March 1999 my son 20 years and 9 months of age impregnated his girlfriend who was 15 years and 8 months old. The child was born 1-11-2000. Her parents raised the child until 1 1/2 years ago when she came back in the picture. He has been paying child support since the DNA test performed by the state of Oregon said the child was his (they ran it because childs mom said there were two other possibliities for dads, then admitted the child was my son's, with all the confusion the state wanted to be certain) He also pays for health insurance for the child.He is trying to get visitation of his son who is now 8 years old (born 1-11-2000).She threatened him with filing rape charges if he did. Where does he stand at this point?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Technically he did rape her statutorily. Adults should not be having sex with children. That is plain and simple. Little lady though doesn't have the power to charge him with anything. If the state wanted to charge him, they would have been able to when paternity was established. Does he have ANY relationship with this child?

That statute of limitations is 6 years. Or when the victim is 24 years old if the victim was a minor.

mamdaisy

Thank you for your advice.
Yes, my son tries to see his son as much as she allows it. It's been a real struggle, she will promise we can see him then not show up. She refuses to let him spend the night; she always wants to be the one in control of how much time he gets to see their child.
When my son does get to see his son, it is wonderful! They are always smiling, laughing, and sharing what has been going on since the last visit. As a grandmother it does my heart good to see them together.
I'm very proud of the fact that he is being responsible financially. It is a great burden on he and his wife to pay out over $600.00 a month in child support and insurance costs, and they struggle to do it each month, but they do it. He has been fighting for more visitation for over a year now and the cost of that has almost bankrupted them. A judge awarded him a tempory visitation schedule at Christmas and she totally ignored it , refusing to let him see his child, and is actually in contemt of court right now.
Yes, I agree about sex with an underage partner. At the time, I lectured both of them so much, that he moved out of my house and into her parents house with her. I was appalled they would allow that.
Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">