• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fighting for what is yours.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ShaylaS1

What is the name of your state?
Utah

My fiance's mother died when he was three, we have just recently come into a copy of her will, and it states that he is to recieve her "family ring" when he turns 25. He had been told by his mothers sister that the ring was pawned by another family member a few years ago. When his brother went back he stated that when they were all together it seemed as though they were hiding the ring, and they would make comments about it, naturally we can't take that at face value, no one actually said they had it. So when his mothers sister, Linda, told my fiance that she would let him have what she was left with, he asked about the ring and told her he felt like he deserved to know the truth. She then wrote us an email stating that she had the ring that is most likely in question and she promised it to her daughter and she didn't want to give it up. She also says that her parents have no idea what we are talking about and it may not be the ring in question. The only problem is her father was the beneficiary, and they were all there when the will was written. My fiance's brother, Mark, was also left the silver in the will, and they all knew about that, and had no problem letting him have it when he turned 18. We have saved the emails, and printed them out and keep them with a copy of the will. If my fiance's father was to have all of her possetions, then wouldn't this all have gone to him until the boys were at the required age? Since my fiance isn't 25 yet, and we take this to court, what will happen to the ring until he is 25? We aren't really sure what to do, we are both students and we don't have much money right now, but he feels like if this has a fighting chance, he wants the ONLY thing his mother left to him when she passed away.What is the name of your state?

divgradcurl

If you can't get a straight answer from anyone in your family, you will need to hire a lawyer to help you through this.

Was the will ever probated?

divgradcurl

Contact your local bar association to see what kind of pro bono or low-cost legal services may be available in your area.

You can also keep working with the family -- although at some point you may need to make a decision as to how much time, effort, and money this ring is worth in the long run.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">