• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do these terms mean?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tomorrow

What is the name of your state? California

Could someone tell me what all of this means?

CV Jury Trial - Long Cause; Vacated
CV Settlement Conf - Jury; Not Settled
CV Mtn to Compel Answers; Granted
CV Mtn: Summary Adjudication; Taken under Submission

Please help. Thanks.

dcatz

Generally speaking, courts can and do use their own “shorthand”. An educated guess?

A civil case was original set for a jury trial lasting more than 1 day. That order has been eliminated by the court.

CV Settlement Conf - Jury; Not Settled

A pre-trial discussion with the judge, designed to attempt to resolve the case without trial, was not successful.

CV Mtn to Compel Answers; Granted

There was pre-trial discovery, probably in the form of written questions. There was either no response to the questions or the responses were considered inadequate by the questioner. The questioner either asked for responses or asked for additional, supplemental responses and received none. A Motion to Compel responses was presented and granted by the court.

CV Mtn: Summary Adjudication; Taken under Submission

When the court granted the Motion to Compel, it may have granted sanctions (penalties). If so, the sanctions may have included an Order that certain facts asserted by the questioner would be treated as admitted or that certain allegations of the intended respondent be treated as rejected/denied/inadmissible or all of the foregoing. In any event, the landscape has changed, and one party has asked the court to rule in its favor in a final disposition of the case (summary judgment) or to rule in its favor on certain essential aspects of the case (summary adjudication of issues). The court is considering that request (has taken it under submission) and will make a ruling.

Tomorrow

Thank you, Dcatz!!

Thank you so much, dcatz!!!

Just one clarification (I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer):

A civil case was original set for a jury trial lasting more than 1 day. That order has been eliminated by the court.

When you say that the order has been eliminated by the court, does it mean that there will be NO jury trial?

I appreciate your response - I am completely and utterly in the dark and all this legal terminology makes my head spin. Thank you so much for helping me out here.

dcatz

Sorry. It could mean several different things, depending on other developments: the court has decided that it’s a “short cause” matter (will take a day or less); a date originally set for trial has been vacated but re-scheduled; a trial date will be re-set with the trial still expected to last more than a day; a trial date can or maybe re-set but it will depend on the court’s decision on the motion for summary adjudication.

I’ve probably missed possible variations. I hope that you get the idea. It’s hard to tell without knowing more about what’s going on. If this involves an action of yours and you haven’t been to the proceedings, you can try a phone call to ask the courtroom clerk for clarification. In the court’s file, there also should be something called a “Minute Order” that gives a bit more detail and probably served as a basis for what you’re reading.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">