• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Left out of will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

weyershill

What is the name of your state?
Iowa
My dad was given $1.00 in my grandmothers will, the rest divided up between his other 3 siblings. She had a new will made when my grandpa went into the nursing home. He and my brother helped her after grandpa died, so no hard feelings or bad blood ever happened. We are in shock, but think the sister, the excector may have had some influence and she is very greedy.

Last edited:

weyershill

Grandma was 89 years old when the will was redone, distraught over grandpa being in nursing home, but living in her own house fending for herself, except for my brother checking in on her a couple times a day. Don't know if any influence to change, actually can't believe other brother not left out for he never visited and grandma didn't like spouse.

tranquility

What you think is irrelevant, what you can prove is. Do you have or do you think, through discovery, you can get proof grandmother was subject to undue influence? If so, get an attorney. If not, dedicate yourself to respecting your elders.

las365

Do you know the approximate value of your grandmother's Estate? Your father could easily spend thousands of dollars contesting the Will. It may not be financially worth it.

If the issue is more about hurt and confusion than money, perhaps he could seek the truth in a way other than through the legal system. As long as he knows in his heart that he cared for and had a good relationship with his mother, in my opinion he is well ahead of anyone who may have used or manipulated her for financial gain.

Dandy Don

Is there specific language in the will giving a reason why she wanted to disinherit him? If there is, he will have no legal grounds to contest as she had the right to do this since it's her money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">