• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lubeoiler

What is the name of your state? Florida. We have had custody since birth and want now to adopt. Since I am on fixed income will the cost be a lot for a attorney, or can we just fill out forms and sumit them.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Florida. We have had custody since birth and want now to adopt. Since I am on fixed income will the cost be a lot for a attorney, or can we just fill out forms and sumit them.
Adoption is not a simple matter that should be attempted without an attorney. Where are the children's parents and do you have their consent to an adoption?

Adoption is not a simple matter that should be attempted without an attorney. Where are the children's parents and do you have their consent to an adoption?
You did mean to say: that should NOT be attempted without an atty. correct?

I know what you meant but O.P. may not.:)

CJane

You did mean to say: that should NOT be attempted without an atty. correct?

I know what you meant but O.P. may not.:)
I'm certain that Ldi knows that if she'd said "Adoption is NOT a simple matter that should NOT be attempted w/out an attorney" that she would have used a double negative.

She stated it correctly, even if the syntax was a bit unwieldy.

Now. She COULD have said "Adoption is not a simple matter and therefore should not be attempted without an attorney" that would have been different.

I'm certain that Ldi knows that if she'd said "Adoption is NOT a simple matter that should NOT be attempted w/out an attorney" that she would have used a double negative.

She stated it correctly, even if the syntax was a bit unwieldy.

Now. She COULD have said "Adoption is not a simple matter and therefore should not be attempted without an attorney" that would have been different.

PALEASE. What is your advice here? Didn't think so. As for LD...I am sure she did not take that as a "correction" of her language or take it to be rude.

I often (since type so very fast) skip words.

CJane

PALEASE. What is your advice here? Didn't think so. As for LD...I am sure she did not take that as a "correction" of her language or take it to be rude.

I often (since type so very fast) skip words.
My ADVICE here is that YOU stop giving GRAMMATICAL as well as LEGAL advice. Neither tends towards correctness no matter how loosely the term is defined. LD's post NEEDED NO CORRECTION. It was and is grammatically correct as it stands.

Your CORRECTION advice would have REMOVED TE MEANING of the post.

She did NOT skip a word. YOUR tendencies to do-so are irrelevant to the discussion.

Lubeoiler

Easy on the posts out there! We just want to have custody if something happens to me she would be covered. My son is the legal father and his girlfriend the mother who was deemed unfit so we have had her 6 years since birth. We have a good relationship with both of them but her best interest is what we want .So how hard can it be to get this done.

NannyM

Correct me if I am wrong Seniors but if you have permission from both parents and they are willing to go to court and state that. It shouldn't be that hard.

CJane

Correct me if I am wrong Seniors but if you have permission from both parents and they are willing to go to court and state that. It shouldn't be that hard.
Even with the permission of both parents, adoption isn't GENERALLY something that should be attempted w/out an attorney. There's no room for error.

CourtClerk

This is true, however, there are some things legally where no matter how easy the circumstances appear, the nuances are quite difficult, and someone that is not well versed in the law will easily overlook, or just not do some very important things. In cases where adoption and the permanent termination of all parental rights are concerned, an attorney is warranted.

OP: Does the child happen to be a ward of the state? There are some cases where Children's Services may be able to assist you in the adoption process.

Gracie3787

OP: Does the child happen to be a ward of the state? There are some cases where Children's Services may be able to assist you in the adoption process.
If children's services have been involved at all, (which OP seems to indicate) then they will be able to file the adoption petition and everything else.

They were great when my daughter adopted my grandson after my son and DIL were determined to be unfit. It didn't cost my daughter one cent to adopt, so OP check with them because that will be the easiest way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">