• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chode444

What is the name of your state? PA
My wife passed away about 4 months ago and I have not had to use probate to handle anything thus far. Now however I find she also left me some stock from a bank that she used to work at. The stock is barely worth $1800.00 and I was wondering if I could take care of the probate on my own or is it necessary to hire a lawyer who seems bent on receiving everything I would gain from that stock. Is there really that much work involved in taking care of that yourself? Or should I just sit on it until it's worth my time to get my greedy lawyer to do it. Sorry for the bad feelings but I have had this lawyer for over 20 years and he has changed greatly with time and wealth from his deceased father.
Please help me, Sincerely,
Charles Eby:(

Last edited:

anteater

Probate in PA is not that arduous, but I don't believe that there is any kind of small estate administration.

My suggeston would be to go down to the Orphans Court/Register of Wills first and ask one of the clerks about the process. They will not give you legal advice, but they may help explain the process and pass along some tips.

Dandy Don

Yes, you probably can handle probate on your own. First talk to the broker or company that owns the stock to find out their requirements for handling this stock (they probably will ask for letters testamentary from you which you will receive soon after filing for executor). If it turns out you need a probate attorney, you can consult with one on an hourly basis which will be less expensive than hiring one to be executor.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">