• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Isn't a car title legally bound contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

streetluger24

I bought a car fair and square and also had to pay impound fees to get it out, just to buy this car. Then the person i bought it from mother wants to take me to court because she had put a new engine into the car and the person i bought it from wasnt finished paying his mother back. But the title was in his name is there anyway that his mother can get it back from me?

CourtClerk

If the owner of the vehicle sold you a car, and there was no additional lein holder... it's your car.

Mom can take up the money that she is owed with the person who owes her money. It's not you.

streetluger24

this mother says that her lawyer found some loop hole or what not and says i will probably lose but i put so much money into this car and i dont want to end up with nothing so im pretty worried about it. if anyone knows if this happend before to someone let me know thanks

CraigFL

Maybe the son wasn't old enough to sell the car? Was the title signed properly and did it need to be witnessed or notorized?It could just be a threat because the mother feels it would be easier to deal with you than her son...

BL

I would hold tight , or consult a lawyer for a small fee .

If by chance the mother has legal authority over the vehicle and it's sale and sues you , counter sue for impound fees and all cost you have incurred .

Was the son of legal age ?

If so , the mother has no say .

If the mother was so concerned , she should have paid her son's impound fees .

Sounds like someone wanted to pull a fast one on you .

streetluger24

i just talked to this mother and she sounds serious about the situation, and i do believe the son was of legal age. she says that she can make me pay for towing, the engine, and intrest on her credit cards. i paid 600 for car then 400 for impuond and she says the attorney siad i would owe her 8000.

BL

I bought a car fair and square and also had to pay impound fees to get it out, just to buy this car. Then the person i bought it from mother wants to take me to court because she had put a new engine into the car and

the person i bought it from wasnt finished paying his mother back.
Ok , it's between them two people , not you .

But the title was in his name is there anyway that his mother can get it back from me
Not unless the person was a minor , a legally not of age to make the transaction .

She wants the vehicle back without compensation to you for your cost ?

As I stated , why didn't she pay the impound fees ?

If she didn't it would have went to auction , and the person would still be owing the mother.

Some Random Guy

The mother does not have a lein on the vehicle and the son (seller was of legal age). If her son needs to get money back, she needs to get it from her son.

she says that she can make me pay for towing, the engine, and intrest on her credit cards.
And why would you owe her any of that?
Did you cause her car to be towed? No - it was her son's car and you paid for the impound anyway.
Did you take her engine? No - it was the engine in her son's car, for which she does not have a lein.
Did you put interest on her credit cards? No - She is responsible for not paying her credit cards off in full. You never asked her to charge anything.

she says the attorney siad i would owe her 8000.
Tell her attorney to put that in writing. I doubt you'll ever see that letter. In fact, stop talking to her on the phone and tell her to put all of her demands in writing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">