• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor in Consumption & Obstruction of Justice charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ablohm

Nebraska-

My 20-year old college student brother drank some alcohol prior to leaving his private residence recently, as he thought he would be safe there versus drinking at a party. He did not drink anything outside of his private residence. He was standing with a few friends outside of a house and none of them had alcohol with them. One friend got a text that a cop might be walking around (it's a small college town, and cops are always out looking for house parties). Since all the kids were scared of talking to cops, they ran in different directions. My brother and one friend went over by a tree, and when his friend decided to run instead, the cops attention was drawn to my brother. The cop asked my brother to come out, and he did immediatley. The cop asked for his license, and then put him in handcuffs, read him his rights and began walking him to the police car. It was then that my brother asked what he was being charged with. The cop responded, "MIC and Obstruction of Justice (apparently for being behind a tree)." The cop then says, "Oh, I guess I should give you a breathalizer, huh?" My brother blew a .08. No party was getting busted and no other kid got cited. He was just standing outside.

The cop did let my brother go after writing the citiation because he was being cooperative (so why an obstruction charge?) My brother's main concern is the obstruction charge. He did plead not-guilty to both and will be tried by a judge versus a jury. Would you recommend him obtaining an attorney to help fight these charges? Would an obstruction charge haunt him in the future after he's 21 and job hunting, etc? He is an honors student and involved in many college activities, and that is why he doesn't want to just forget about it and pay fines. Also, the county prosecuter says she's not interested in trying to get jail time.

Thank you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Well he was consuming alcohol. He is not allowed to consume it in his private residence so I don't understand why he is thinking he is innocent.

ablohm

Minor in Consumption & Obstruction of Justice

My brother's main concern is the obstruction of justice charge. How much could that affect him? There was nothing warranting that, and a lawyer that my brother briefly spoke with said that consuming some alcohol in your private residence could be dismissed, depending on the judge. But, again, that's not my brother's main concern.

jc1982

Hello, Can you advise what your brother did in regards to hiring an attorney or not...and what was the outcome of his case? And will this impact his future job hunting?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">