• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom Died, now what?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Skrewku08

What is the name of your state? Missouri.

My mother just recently passed away from breast cancer. She has a large amount of bills owed to hospitals, doctors, and such because she did not have medical insurance. She also was on medicaid, and estate recovery should be coming. She died without a will. Do I need to file something with the state or anything else? Or do I just wait for the state and creditors to start the proceedings to take the rest of her assets? BTW, the debts far outweigh the assets, and my family will not receive anything. Any advice will be helpful, thanks.

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state? Missouri.

My mother just recently passed away from breast cancer. She has a large amount of bills owed to hospitals, doctors, and such because she did not have medical insurance. She also was on medicaid, and estate recovery should be coming. She died without a will. Do I need to file something with the state or anything else? Or do I just wait for the state and creditors to start the proceedings to take the rest of her assets? BTW, the debts far outweigh the assets, and my family will not receive anything. Any advice will be helpful, thanks.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/search.php?searchid=1772945

If it were me, then I would let the creditors do all the work (for example, by opening an estate if they felt it was necessary).

Don't talk to any of the creditors.

anteater

https://forum.freeadvice.com/search.php?searchid=1772945

If it were me, then I would let the creditors do all the work (for example, by opening an estate if they felt it was necessary).

Don't talk to any of the creditors.
Just a question, sj. If the OP were to open probate and be appointed administrator, would he/she be able to receive a fee ahead of the creditors? Might be a roundabout way to receive at least a bit of mother's assets.

seniorjudge

Just a question, sj. If the OP were to open probate and be appointed administrator, would he/she be able to receive a fee ahead of the creditors? Might be a roundabout way to receive at least a bit of mother's assets.
That may be possible. I am not sure of the state law in poster's state.

But it would be a very small amount of money for a large headache.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">