• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-girlfriend and money owed on house.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flying_eth

What is the name of your state? Alaska

Hi,
My ex-girlfriend built a house together and I put a substantial amount of money into it over 20K plust lots of time, driving expenseses, etc. I broke up with her about 7 months ago, she kept the house since it was her project to start with. I got her to sign an agreement to pay me $20,500 for my contribution to the property. I went to New Zealand for the winter and she has sold the house and ignored the debt and shows no signs whatsoever of paying or cooperating. The problems are that she has the receipts, the land and therefore the house was in her brother's name and I believe they kept it that way until it sold, and our signed agreement has no dates regarding start of payment or anything of that nature. I've got a lawyer and gave her till the end of the week to play ball or I will sue. Looks like I'm gonna be sueing, what kind of case will I have and can I expect to gain anything from suieing her? Any help would be gladly appreciated! Thanks and have a good day!

Cheers,
Jon

Last edited:

flying_eth

I'm not completly sure, obviously I've made some mistakes and learned some lessons along the way. The land was in her brother's name, he gifted it to her. When I told her I was going to take her to court if she didn't cooperate she told me I'd have no case as it was in her brother's name, the contract we wrote up had our name's and the property's address on it. I know they were working on putting it in her name, but don't think they ever did for this reason, now it's sold.

flying_eth

I'm almost positive it was in her brother's name, hard to say for sure as she won't communicate. Correct me if I'm wrong but with our signed agreement isn't it between her and I and not the property? I've never been involved in a legal issue before so excuse me for my ignorance. Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">