• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no will, property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

imjenb26

Hello, and thank you in advance for your help. My name is Jen.This is in reference to property in the state of Maine, Han**** County.

My former husband was killed last year in an automobile accident. We were happily married and living together at that time.

He left no will, or any kind of statement with his wishes. He had property ( our home and the land it resides on) in his name at the time of his death. The property was owned by him, and only a small equity loan was taken out on it, which was paid in full when he died.

My question is how do I go about getting the property into my name? As I understand it, the property would pass to the surviving spouse /be divided between the spouse and any surviving children. We have a daughter together, age 6. I would like to make it legally in my name/ my daughter's name.

In my research I believe it said that the property would be divided equally between my daughter and I.

Also, if there were an interested buyer ( once the property was legally placed in our names) would I be able to sell the property with my daughter being under age?

thanks again,
Sincerely,
Jennie McDowell

Dandy Don

You need to get this property probated in probate court, with the assistance of a probate attorney if you can afford one, and he can answer your questions about how it affects your daughter. Yes, you will be able to sell it with no complications.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">