• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sued by x for money he spent on me!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MusicLover65

What is the name of your state? Az

I briefly dated (3 months) a guy who lived out of state. Friend of a friend.
During this time he bought me a $175 necklace for my birthday.
(Way more expensive than appropriate for amount of time dating- told him so),
a sattelite radio, piggybacked the service on his own plan and paid the year ahead,
insisted I replace the timing belt on my car as preventive maintenance when I brought it in for a smaller service ($500 he was there when car picked up, paid w credit card)
and called a glasier (sp?) to replace a window with a crack in my home. ($300)
(again he paid with his credit card and scheduled the service. His name is on the reciept)

He was smothering the heck out of me, very demanding of my time, and insecure.
He was obsessed with me. Didn't make day to day decisions w/o consulting me didnt talk to his friends/family about anything else. Total turn-off.
Then he had a mental flip-out when visiting me.
Full on crying and admission of mental instability. Horrible childhood, etc. were the topics.
I encouraged his to seek treatment and to take care of himself.
I decided a 3 month relationship w/ someone who lived in another state didn't allow me to accurately see the warning signs of his mental problems.
I stopped taking his calls. Calls and texts persisted averaging 4 times/day. I did not respond. Attempted to bully me into contact. Even sent my best friend an email
"she hasn't responded to me in 7 weeks. Do you think she wants to break up?" HELLO?!!

Once it dawned on him that we were not dating, he started call in hysterics screaming that I'm a psycho and owe him $800 for the money he INSISTED on spending on me while we dated. I responded ony to FedEx his clothing and personal care items he'd left at my place. as I'd decided that he DEF needed to focus on himself. NOT ME.
He called, texted and emailed over a hundred times since the "revelation".

He also contacted parties that were unknown to him, (yay for the internet- not) and close to me in regards to this including my employer, xhusband (public figure), parents, and many of my friends (gotta love those social networking sites- not)
Also left me v/m stating he was going to try to get me fired.
I filed and was granted an "injunction against harrassment" (Az's version of restraining order for parties who have not lived together) Things have been quiet since then.

I realize that although these items he'd paid for aren't typical gift items, that's exactly how they were presented. Now he is suing me in small claims for $1200. WHere he get's this number I have no idea. (The Amt he screamed about on v/m was $800).
The jist is there is and was NO LOAN, no promise of payment written or otherwise.
I considered paying just to make sure he had NO REASON to ever contact me, but on principle and the fact that he inflated the $ amt he'd actually spent, I'm fighting it.

Since it's basically a he said- she said, I preserved my appeal rights by changing venue to CIVIL from small claims. I do not have several thousand to hire a lawyer.

Pre-trial discovery hearing is coming up.
I get to be in a room w/ someone I have restrain order on. He gets precisely what he wants. Contact with me.
What might I expect to happen? I have the reciepts and lots of evidence of his mental state, but he can't prove he "loaned" me the money any more than I can prove that he didn't.
I'm sure a photo of the large tattoo across his abdomen reading "psychotic" would be helpful, but this whole thing is pretty ridiculous.

Is there anything specific I should bring with me to this pre-trial discovery?
Apologies for the length of this post.
Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Hot Topic

Did he hold a gun on you and force you to accept the necklace, radio, timing belt replacement and services of the glazer?

Return the necklace and offer to pay for the rest to show that you didn't just take advantage of his infatuation with you until it became inconvenient.

JETX

Obviously, ignore the post by 'hot'... as it has absolutely nothing to do with the legal issues...

Here is your REAL answer:
Sounds like he will have a hard time PROVING that a 'promise to repay' existed. Go to the deposition and state the facts. Then, go to court and do the same. The court will decide which is the more credible version.

MusicLover65

Since this is a pre-trial discovery- it's my understanding that it will be both he and I in a room together (neither have a lawyer) ?

Whomever will be supervising or presiding this meeting- do they have the option to throw this case out if they deem fit?

I have pleny of ammo if neccesary to destroy plantiffs credibility and the credibility of almost anyone he could even think of throwing into the mix.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">