• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold Car But Not Paid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LAP1977

My state is MI.

This is in Maryland. Last summer my husband sold my car to a neighbor. The car at the time was not drivable. My husband gave the neighbor the keys. The neighbor fixed the car. We had a verbal agreement. The price of the vehicle is 500.00. We were paid 250.00 in which I sent a copy of the title to a friend who is supposed to make the transaction for us. This was in December. We have not gotten the rest of the 250.00 and we heard that the neighbors wife is driving the car which is still in my name with my plates. The car has no insurance. I did not give them permission to drive the vehicle. I'm in MI. My husband has called both people and told them that we will report it stolen and they have 2 weeks to notify us. The two weeks are up. This is all verbal nothing written or signed. I don't know what to do next. Do I report it stolen/can I report it stolen. Or should I go and repo it myself. If she gets into an accident I can be in trouble and I don't want that. Please help.

racer72

Do I report it stolen/can I report it stolen.
The car was released to the neighbor, it was not taken without permission. The police will tell you it is a civil matter and will do nothing.

Or should I go and repo it myself.
Without a legal contract that stipulates the vehicle is collatoral for any unpaid balance, you have no legal right to take the vehicle. The neighbor could report you for stealing the vehicle.

If she gets into an accident I can be in trouble and I don't want that.
Possibly. You should have had the neighbor put the vehicle registration in his name, this would release you from most liability issues.

The only legal remedy I see for you at this time is to sue the neighbor in his state for the balance owed on the vehicle.

LAP1977

Even though its still in my name and we haven't gotten the full amount I can't repo it. I don't get that.

If you buy a car from the bank and you don't make your payments they repo it.

There is nothing in writing only verbal. What proof does he have that he bought it if I just go and take it back? He gave 250.00 cash there is no paper trail to him giving this to us. I don't think he would report a car stolen from him when it's not in his name. He doesn't have the title.

Last edited:
Without a legal contract that stipulates the vehicle is collatoral for any unpaid balance, you have no legal right to take the vehicle. The neighbor could report you for stealing the vehicle.
The OP probably has a purchase money security interest in the car and could legally repo it, but it's not worth the hassle for $250.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">