• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step-father adoption process

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dcschaf44

What is the name of your state? CA

The facts:
1. My wife and I were married in Oct 07.
2. She has a child from a previous marriage (11 yr old).
3. Has been divorced from biological father since 1998.
4. Biological father was abusive to both my wife and her child.
5. Sole custody was granted to my wife.
6. Zero child support was provided to my wife's child.
7. Biological father has long criminal history (including felony cases involving drugs).
8. Biological father is currently in prison in AZ.

The question:
How do I adopt my wife's daughter without us having to make contact with the biological father? She is getting to the age now where it is going to be more and more important that her "legal" name be displayed more and I want to save her the awkwardness of having to eplain that to people.

Thank you!!

CourtClerk

What is the name of your state? CA

The facts:
1. My wife and I were married in Oct 07.
2. She has a child from a previous marriage (11 yr old).
3. Has been divorced from biological father since 1998.
4. Biological father was abusive to both my wife and her child.
5. Sole custody was granted to my wife.
6. Zero child support was provided to my wife's child.
7. Biological father has long criminal history (including felony cases involving drugs).
8. Biological father is currently in prison in AZ.
The question:
How do I adopt my wife's daughter without us having to make contact with the biological father?
You can't. He has the right to contest the adoption and he has to be notified.
She is getting to the age now where it is going to be more and more important that her "legal" name be displayed more and I want to save her the awkwardness of having to eplain that to people.
Thank you!!
Explain what? That just like millions of other people (and probably more than a ton of her friends) in the world she has her father's name and not her mother's new name???:confused:

Like I keep asking, what happens when/if this marriage doesn't work and mom marries yet again? Does she have to undergo another name change?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">