• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to find who has old attorney records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daddydune

What is the name of your state? California.
My mothers will was witnessed by her attorney. He has since died. His practice is no longer in business.
How do I find who took over his files. I'm trying to locate the other witness but can't read the name very well. Can I search through the Bar Association, or can I call the Bar association?
Is there another method?
This is related to the earlier post on witness.

Thanks.

elainebenice

this is always a difficult situation when the atty is deceased and you can't read the signatures. i would attempt to find out all of the information possible on the atty regarding where and when he practiced, etc, if you don't know it already. if possible, try and locate any former partners or associates. from there, i would try and find out who his secretary or paralegal was either at the time the will was written or any other time b/c they will be the person who can help you the most and many times they will turn out to be the witnesses you are looking for as well. hold old is the will in question?

Dandy Don

You were advised previously to check the California Bar Association website and the webpage link was specifically given. I checked the website and the one of the attorneys whose name was in the law firm title you mentioned is listed on the website (there are 2 attorneys with the name P. W. and the one you want has a middle initial of M and his phone number and email address is listed there. If you don't make contact that way, since you know where Mr. Fritz died, call the county courthouse probate court and see if he has a probate file there--if there is, there is a page in there with names of his family/beneficiaries and you can order a copy of that page and contact the family to find out what happened to this man's records.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">