• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Repairs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

neighbor

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

My ex bought my daughter a car. I was not involved in any part of selecting or purchasing the vehicle. She asked my boyfriend to look at the car after the car was purchased, he does auto body repair for a living and has mechanical knowledge as well. He took a quick look at the car in my driveway and could see the floor was rusted out and the carpet could be seen from under the car. Just looking under the hood, he found an anti-freeze and oil leak and all of the fluids needed to be changed. He stated the car was unsafe because it was in serious need of a floor. The car also needed basic maintenance repairs, but he would need to look at the car more closely to see if anything else needed to be repaired/replaced. I contacted her father and told him what Bill (my boyfriend) had found wrong with the car just looking at it in the driveway and that he wanted to give a once over to see if there were any other safety issues with the car besides the rotted floor and to let him know what other repairs maybe needed. My ex agreed to have Bill look at the car. Bill invited my ex to his house to look at the car in his garage. My ex came with both of our children (18 & 20 years old). Bill showed my ex the floor that was completely rotted out on the driver side and more than half of the passenger area was gone. Bill went over as many items that he saw and stated there were other items that had not been inspected (rear brakes and shocks). My ex was surprised at the list Bill had compiled and agreed to pay, he wanted Bill to keep track of his time and keep all of the receipts. They shook hands, we all chatted for a few moments and my ex left with my children. Bill continued working on the car. My ex sent me an email stating he would pay for all of the repairs per what he and Bill discussed.

Bill did what my ex asked, he replaced the floor and did all the other repairs they discussed, and he kept track of his time and had all the receipts. When Bill sent my ex the copies of the receipts and an itemized list of repairs completed and parts used (minus his labor hours). My ex stated he would not pay the total bill because Bill went over his budget.

Not once in all of the discussions with Bill or when we were all together in Bill's garage did my ex mention he had a budget. He simply said, keep track of your time and the receipt; I'll take care of it. Bill only repaired or replaced the parts that were so rusted they broke during the inspection or were simply worn out and in need of replacement. He did nothing more than what he discussed with my ex and paid for all of the parts and materials needed for the repairs out of his pocket. My ex is only willing to pay for less than half of the total bill and nothing more. He (my ex) insists that I pay for the rest, I did not buy the car, he did. Is there any type of action Bill can take to collect his money from my ex?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">