• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible beneficiary - when will i know?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mixtim

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Close relative recently died. I'm fairly certain I may be in the will, so now I'm curious.

1. When are beneficiaries typically notified? Is there a general time frame from time of death that you can give me in your experience?

2. About how long before the terms are revealed and I know my share?

I know I must sound like an awful person for asking these questions. I really did care and love the decedent. It's a long story, but there's good reasons for my questions.

Thanks

anteater

It really depends upon when administration of the estate is begun and the court appoints a personal representative. Once that occurs, the Maryland code provides that:

§ 7-104. Personal notice to heirs and legatees.
(a) General.- Not later than 20 days after his appointment the personal representative shall deliver to the register the text of the first published newspaper notice of his appointment and shall advise the register of the names and addresses of the heirs of the decedent and of the legatees to the extent known by him, so that the register may issue the notices provided in § 2-210.
After that:
§ 2-210. Personal notice to heirs and legatees.
Within five days after receiving the text of the first published newspaper notice as provided in § 7-103 and the written notice from the personal representative of the names and addresses of the heirs and legatees as provided in § 7-104, the register shall forward to each such person a copy of the newspaper notice published according to § 7-104, in the manner prescribed in § 1-103 (a), directed according to the information received from the personal representative.
I see no requirement that a copy of the will be sent to any of the beneficiaries. When you know that the will has been filed with the court and estate administration opened, the will is public record and you can view it or get a copy from the court.

Dandy Don

Normally the will is filed at the county courthouse probate court within 30 to 60 days after the death, so find out the address and phone number of the probate court and ask to see if they have a website online where you could regularly check the status by searching online court records for the name of the decedent.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">