• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small claims case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shawnadeyemi

What is the name of your state? New York
Hello everyone.I am a defendant in a small claims case.I am counter claiming.The plaintiff is claiming $1000.Firstly,If I can prove that the plaintiff is lying, is it possible to counterclaim against the plaintiff for making a false claim?Is it possible to claim to exact amount of money he is claiming($1000) or even more?What else can i claim for if I can prove that he lied to the court.What consequences will he face?
Secondly,if his claim is dismissed resulting from his inability to prove his case, is my counter claim still on?
Thanks,
Shawn.

Last edited:

JETX

Hello everyone.I am a defendant in a small claims case.I am counter claiming.The plaintiff is claiming $1000.Firstly,If I can prove that the plaintiff is lying, is it possible to counterclaim against the plaintiff for making a false claim?
Of course it is possible.... but useless unless you can prove monetary damages.

Is it possible to claim to exact amount of money he is claiming($1000) or even more?
You can claim anything you want... up to the limit of the court.

What else can i claim for if I can prove that he lied to the court.
Pretty much nothing.

What consequences will he face?
More than likely none. However, if he lies under oath, in theory, he could be charged with perjury.

Secondly,if his claim is dismissed resulting from his inability to prove his case, is my counter claim still on?
Yep. Your claim stands on its own... just as his does.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">