• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will executor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MARK ANGELEY

In the state of Massachusetts,
Can more than one person be an executor on a will?
If only one person is named in the will to be the executor,
can that person ask that others be named as co-executors
when the will is probated?

ALawyer

I'm not from MA but if one executor is named, one person is normally the executor. The executor can ask others to assist in the executor's functions informally.

I assume the executor can go to court and ask the court to appoint 2 successors, but what's the big deal? Why does someone want this, except out of a feeling of being discriminated against? It is foolish in 99% of the cases!

A

advisor10

(02-03-2001)

More than one person can be an executor, but it is my understanding that any co-executors must be designated as such only by the decedent/testator in the will (in other words, one can not voluntarily apply or be appointed to that position).

It is much simpler to have one executor, because you know the complications involved whenever a "committee" tries to come to a decision on anything--it's almost impossible.

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">