• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Puppy death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

concerned12many

What is the name of your state? AZ My boyfriend trains dogs and a friend recently asked if he could train their 6 month puppy. It's not a business --he's very accomplished w/his own dogs--with titles and certifications. We all agreed it was easier to board/train the puppy for 3 to 4 weeks for less than $500. (very little amount but was more like a favor) The 3rd night the puppy was playing with 3 other puppies we have (they were all getting along the 2 previous days) and we went to bring them in and found him dead in the middle of the yard. We tried cpr but no use..he had bit marks on his legs but think he died from strangleation as the colar was twisted up and the neck very wet. I immediately called the owner. This is a horrible accident and we want to make it right...they are asking for $2500 for all they put into him...& want it within 30 days or else it's court. (they paid $600 for their pet) Is what their asking for justified if taken to court? I now see all kinds of forms that would protect in such an event. Do we have any legal protection?

concerned12many

so if taken to court they would only get the amount they paid for the animal---not all they spent on him over the past 5 months?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And, if they seriously OVERPAID for the animal, perhaps not even that. For example - let's say I "buy" a kitten from my down-on-her-luck friend for $500 (just so I'm not "giving" her money). That doesn't mean the animal is WORTH $500 ;)

seniorjudge

And, if they seriously OVERPAID for the animal, perhaps not even that. For example - let's say I "buy" a kitten from my down-on-her-luck friend for $500 (just so I'm not "giving" her money). That doesn't mean the animal is WORTH $500 ;)
A vet was looking at my horses and noticed a tortoiseshell barn cat I had.

The vet said, "Those kinds of cats are worth a thousand dollars!"

I said, "You can have that one there for $100 right now!"

He didn't take me up on it so I really doubt his word.:D

concerned12many

Thank you all. I feel horrible about what happened but when trying to make ends meet & being told "you need to pay this amount with in 30 days or we're taking you to court" your comments at least make me feel a bit better/confident in trying to negotiate with the "friend".

seniorjudge

Thank you all. I feel horrible about what happened but when trying to make ends meet & being told "you need to pay this amount with in 30 days or we're taking you to court" your comments at least make me feel a bit better/confident in trying to negotiate with the "friend".
Demand a receipt from them.

I'd like to know what kind of puppy is worth $600.

(All my dogs have always been strays, mutts, abandoned, etc. :D)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I paid for a dog...once.
Well, the dog was free, but the conditions of adoption were that I get it sterilized and shots and an ID chip implanted.
In my case, even though those costs were incurred to get the puppy, they were NOT a part of the cost OF the puppy.

tranquility

What everyone is trying to say is that animals are property. If you damage someone else's property completely, you are responsible for the fair market value of the property.

The reason I put it this way is because I have a slight disagreement with some of the examples. Two equal puppies except that one has an ID chip implanted or is "fixed" have a different value. I'm not going to pretend I know the difference in value, but, the value is different.

(A neutered dog is generally going to have a slightly higher value when viewed as a pet. If the dog was a dog show champion and the person a breeder, neutering would reduce the fair market value.)

Info edit:
Now that I think about it, if the person is a breeder is not really relevant to the fair market value. What would a person pay on the open market for a champion dog which is not sterile is. (Recognizing breeders are part of the open market.)

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Agreed.

I love my little bitches to no end and they spoiled rotten.

When I had a previous dog put down a while ago, it was a traumatic experience. (I held her as she died.)

However, none of that translates into money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">