• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trusts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lindacarroll

What is the name of your state? California

My husband owned a lot that he intended to build a house on. He had the land in his trust and his son was the benificiary before we were married in 2001. In 2002 we began to build a house and before it was completed, he was killed in an automobile accident. He never changed the trust to name me as the benificiary. As the benificiary, will my stepson get the land and the house? I live in California and have been married six and a half years.

curb1

You said, "I live in California and have been married six and a half years."

Who have you been married to for 6 1/2 years? You said your husband died in 2002.

Dandy Don

curb1, please read the post again--she did not say that he died in 2002, she said he died before the house was completed.

She should be consulting with a trust attorney to find out her rights as a spouse--she may be entitled to a portion of her husband's assets due to the length of time she was married. Did he leave a last will and testament that is being probated or were all of his assets put into the trust?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

curb1

Dandy Don,
You are correct. I neglected to consider that someone would start a house and take over 5 1/2 years to build it. If it took that long, I am surprised that the husband (or wife) did not consider the problems of the Trust. Especially if there was any loan for construction, or building permit (showing the owner as the trust). Then again, maybe it was the intention of the husband to leave this for the son in case of his death. I guess stranger things happen all the time.

Lindacarroll, What does the son have to say?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">