• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue a Repair / Handyman??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elanron

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
I had a handyman hook up a new dishwasher. He hooked it up wrong, and caused a lot of water damage in my floor and ceiling below. I had to pay a plumber $185, and I have to get a contractor to replace the sheerock and fix the floor, replace tiles, etc. My home insurance should pick up the tab for the repair. The handyman doesn't have a business, all I have is his phone# and endorced check. Can I take him to small claims court to get at least the money I am paying the plumber? I also had to take time off of work to wait for the contractor, and will have to take more time off. What are my rights, and what should I sue for? Thanks....

Hot Topic

You can sue him for the money you had to pay the plumber. You won't be recompensed for the time you took off work.

And make a promise to yourself that you'll never do anything so foolish as hire a "freelance" handyman without references from people you trust again.

CraigFL

And also... you need to be sure that you can PROVE that he was negligent or incompetant with the install. I've seen so many times where another person comes in to fix something and they want to blame it on the other person. The judge/mediator will be looking for this proof.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">