• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Wife Just got a Court Summons and Court Already Passed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

epic1231

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Hey everyone, today is Saturday so unfortunitly noone is available to help us via the Phone for the Courts. Today I got in the mail a Civil Summons' for a Small Claim Court from a Doctor who filed against us. The problem being the Court Date was Thursday 3/6/2008 and today is 3/8/2008.

We had no idea about this summons, they had sent it to an old address first and after 3 unsuccessful attempts to deliver it (from what the envelope shows) it was returned and sent to our new address.

Neither one of us can even remember the incident in question but since the Court Date has already come and gone without us even knowing is there anything we can do??

I had to sign several times over to accept the letter so I know they can see the Delivered Date as of today and Know we are not lying about that, but will the court reverse any decision if it's already been made and allow us the opportunity to look over what this is in regards to?

Thanks In Advance,
Bill

Hot Topic

Sounds like you didn't file a forwarding address when you moved. When that happens, the mail goes through several hands at the post office, and mail that should reach you in a certain timeframe doesn't.

Call the Small Claims Court first thing Monday. You may be able to appeal the verdict. Or you may have lost the case by default.

You can also Google Small Claims procedures for New Jersey, which is probably something you should have done yesterday.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">