• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenants in common + no will or bill of sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Netmeggs

What is the name of your state? NEW YORK
I am looking for help with an issue between my brother and me. Father died without will. Limited letters issued granting all goods (house) to him and me (Asbestos). I am tenant in common on cooperative issued shares. No bill of sale except original between my father and previous owner. Now I want to have my father’s name removed and retain the property in my name and eventually sell. I have only one sibling. I have 50% and father 50%. Now I have 75% and brother 25% (thanks to TIC).
Brother and I are not on good terms at all- Knows house was to be mine and him money + bank accounts. Father/Mother died in process of insuring this plan legally. Brother has stated to Aunt he doesn’t want the house, but feels he has not been treated right in regards to monies he feel is due

Question: How would I go about having the Estate transferred to me and obtain a Bill of Sale in my name. I understand things would be easier if on equal level and speaking terms. Was told by COOP multi things would have to occur, and easier if cooperation was not an issue. PLS help me in any way in trying to resolve this dilemma. I would like to take care of this easily without having to give him 25% of the purchase price or him standing in the way of this process. I do have the Insurance for the House in my name and have made repairs and paid all monies due to cooperative since father's death. I have also retained the house as my address for more than 20 years. My brother has not.

Thank you for any help that can be given. I am at my wits end and confused.

Bottom Line: I want to sell the House. I'm in NYC he resides in Florida

Respectfully yours,
MVC

nextwife

Real estate is NOT transfered by a "Bill of Sale".

HOW, exactly is the real estate and other assets, such as savings, and checking accounts titled?

What was his state of RESIDENCE? With no will, assets that pass through probate would be distributed in accordance with that state's Intestate probate law.

Netmeggs

no will, house on coop property, TIC

The bank accounts are already settled. My brother recieved all those funds. I would like to settle the house for which has been my residence for more than 15 years. My fathers residence as well as mine is NYC My brother is Florida. I really want to know what the process is on having things straightend out. My father's asbestos suit created limited letters leaving all assets to the both of us. As previously stated as I believe it goes is my fathers 1/2 is divided between us. So I now have 75%. I need some advice. I think its very convoluted.
No will, house on cooperative property which is tenants in common with my father and I. Only one other siblings, trying to settle house so I can sell.
Coop office said have him OK to have the estate transfered to me, then retain a bill of sale to have my fathers name removed leaving mine then sell.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">