• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Time limit for deposition and hearsay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tomorrow

What is the name of your state?: California

Is there a time limit to when the attorneys for the defendants must finish getting depositions from possible witnesses? Say trial is set for August 1, 2008 - can the attorney get depositions up until July 31, 2008?

Does the witness have to be given advance notification if he or she is called to give deposition? If yes, how much?

Does the attorney for the plaintiff have to be given advance notice if the defendant's lawyer is going to call a witness for possible deposition? If yes, how much?

If someone is not called to give deposition, can he or she still be called in to provide testimony during the trial? I'm wondering if "surprise witnesses" are as regular in real lives as TV shows would have us believe.

If the witness did not personally see an act being committed and heard about it AFTER the fact through someone else, wouldn't his or her version of the incident be "hearsay"? I am a layman, so I would appreciate any advice in this regard.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">