• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"UN" Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

knight11

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Hello to everyone. To not explain half my life story this is my case. I was adopted by a stepparent, I need to know how i can.. 1.Relieve all legal ties between us 2. Remove his name from my birth certificate 3. Retain my original last name "UN" Adoption?? Name change can only grant me #3 please if any one can help me out before i just go to a lawyer with out knowing what to expect... ive been trying to have this done for two yrs now, little knowledge is my hesitation. This is a tough one!!!!!!!!!!!Thank you!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
1. If you're an adult, there are none. If you're not, wait until you are.

2. have someone else adopt you.

3. Change your name.

nextwife

Children can't "un"do their legal parents. Whether biokids or adopted kids. Kids don't get to pick their parents - circumstances create legal parentage.

What Stealth said.

nextwife

-sorry there are no children in this case- regardless thankyou I pose a new question
Gee, this isn't that hard! There is no "un"doing an adoption.

We start out as children. And we don't get to decide who our parents will be. Biokids don't. And adopted kids don't. Why do you think that being an adopted child/now adult changes those dynamics? Adults do not get to decide who their legal parents are either (unless they are being adopted as an adult).

When we are adults, the persons who were our legal parents AT THE TIME WE BECAME adults, are STILL our parents. The only options for adults who wish to "un"do their relationship with their parent(s) is:

be adopted by someone

or

Simply have nothing to do with them and change your name.

ecco

ADOPTIONS ABSOLUTELY CAN BE UNDONE!

It's called adoption dissolution. In 99% of the cases, it's in situations where an adoptive parent seeks to dissolve the adoption due to violence/mental illness of the adopted child. There have been incidences where children have dissolved the rights of their own biological parents.(see below)

Twigg v. Mays
Plaintiff
Ernest and Regina Twigg
Defendant
Robert Mays
Plaintiff's Claim
That the parental rights held by the Twiggs compelled that they be granted
custody of 14- year-old Kimberley Mays who was switched at birth with another
newborn.
Chief Lawyer for Plaintiff
John Blakely
Chief Defense Lawyers
George Russ, David Denkin (guardian ad litem)
Judge
Stephen Dakan
Place
Sarasota County, Florida
Date of Decision
18 August 1993

In this circumstance, the biological rights of the parents were severed. Amazing, but it happend. For adoptees, the appropriate term would be adoption dissolution. It is rare, but it happens.

You'd have to prove extensive circumstances(illegal adoption/severe abuse/neglect/etc.), but it is possible. You can motion the court for anything. Whether you'll get it is another story.

E

Silverplum

What happened in FL (in an exceedingly unusual case) has absolutely nothing to do with what could happen in IL.

State laws differ widely.

Please don't post erroneously.

ecco

Adoption Dissolution

Kimberly Mays at age 14, succeeded in having her biological parents rights severed due to the extreme circumstances surrounding her existence.(switched at birth) The Mays bio-daughter was raised by the Twiggs, and passed away at a very young age. This is how it was discovered that she was not biologically theirs.

When they found their bio-daughter, they petitioned the court for custody. They lost.

Since states have widened their criteria on "adoptable" children, many children with birth defects, questionable histories and backgrounds(handicapped/retarded/disabled) are able to be adopted. Unfortunately, the rates of adoption dissolution have spiked dramatically.

States do not advertise adoption dissolution. They don't want family units to be undone. But honestly, if an adopted child grows up, and doesn't want the adoption, they should have the right to dissolve that decision/adoption. Especially under circumstances of severe abuse or neglect.

Another reason adoption dissolution will not be a big hit...it'll be a landslide of cases clogging the court systems.:eek:

E

Silverplum

And I say it again, not for you, ecco, but for future searchers.

What happened in FL (in an exceedingly unusual case) has absolutely nothing to do with what could happen in IL.

State laws differ widely.

Please don't post erroneously.
I HATE incorrect legal *advice!* :mad:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">