• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

magpie2bc

What is the name of your state? MI

I am a grandparent who has shared legal custody of my grandson through the courts.
His father has married and he is telling me that his new wife can adopt my grandson after they have been married for 2 years.
My daughter(his mother) does see and visit with her son whenever it is our visitation time, which is 50% of the time.

My question: Can the step mother adopt the child even though mother of the child does not pay support, but she does have regular contact with the child?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? MI

I am a grandparent who has shared legal custody of my grandson through the courts.
His father has married and he is telling me that his new wife can adopt my grandson after they have been married for 2 years.
My daughter(his mother) does see and visit with her son whenever it is our visitation time, which is 50% of the time.

My question: Can the step mother adopt the child even though mother of the child does not pay support, but she does have regular contact with the child?
Why did the mother lose custody? Why is she not supporting her child?

magpie2bc

i'm not sure why those questions need to be answered.
some people need help during a tough time in their lives, this is that case.

do you know the answer to my original question?

CourtClerk

i'm not sure why those questions need to be answered.
some people need help during a tough time in their lives, this is that case.

do you know the answer to my original question?
Those questions need to be answered because they are relevant as to whether or not dad's new wife has standing to adopt the child. If you don't want to answer it, you don't have to, but we don't have to answer your question either.

So... please feel free to use that post your case function over there -----> and then you can pick and choose which questions to answer. However, if you don't answer all the questions, even if you pay for the advice, it may not be accurate.

Good luck.

las365

magpie2bc, the reason the questions are relevant is that your daughter's parental rights would have to be terminated in order for the stepmom to adopt the child. Courts are generally reluctant to terminate parental rights, but will do so if it is deemed to be in the best interest of the child.

I agree with CourtClerk that you may feel more comfortable airing the details in a private, confidential consultation with an attorney. You can also learn about your rights in relation to visitation if the adoption does happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">